Protest over the closure of Kandundu quarry mines

Central
By Boniface Gikandi | Apr 05, 2023
A stone cutter imported from Italy at Kandundu quarry mine in Murang'a where the youth earn thousands of shillings daily for being part of the construction value chain. [Boniface Gikandi, Standard]

The closure of quarry mines in the Kandundu area, Murang'a town has sparked protests with the youth complaining they have lost their livelihoods.

The mines were closed following claims by the authorities that the operators failed to apply for the licenses, as the operators blamed the move on a witch-hunt.

Former Kiharu MP Ngenye Kariuki blamed the authorities for the closure of the quarry mines.

"The closure of the quarry mines is unrealistic because the county government has selfish interests," said Ngenye, who operates a quarry mine.

Murang'a Municipal Manager Beatrice Gicheha said the board found the mines operating in disregard to the set guidelines.

"All the operators must have valid licenses from the authorities and nobody will be allowed without meeting the set conditions," said Ms Gicheha.

She also said the board was looking for the quarry mines that had been operating in the locality to refill the mines to comply with the standards.

"We are on the ground looking for the individuals who left their former quarry mines without refilling them thus exposing the lives of the residents to danger," said the Municipal Manager.

Residents neighbouring the mines celebrated the closure saying despite the quarry mines being a source of income for the youth they have suffered due to increased dust in their homes.

Kiharu Assistant County Commissioner Esther Muthoni said the players have been issued a warning to the operators of the quarries severally but ignored.

"Since January, we have been calling operators of the quarries to stop operations, but they defied," said Ms Muthoni.

Share this story
China claims two snow golds at Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics
China claimed two golds on snow at the Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics on Wednesday, while Norway's cross-country sensation Johannes Hoesflot Klaebo raised his Winter Olympic gold medal tally to ten.
Sevilla coach Almeyda banned for seven games after clash with referee
Sevilla coach Matias Almeyda has been banned for seven matches after his red card last weekend during a La Liga draw with Alaves.
All World Cup matches sold out, says FIFA's Infantino
All 104 matches of the 2026 World Cup will be "sold out," FIFA president Gianni Infantino says, even though tickets are still available ahead of the June 11 kickoff.
Bodo-Glimt stun Inter, Gordon hits four in Newcastle Champions League romp
Norway's Bodo/Glimt stunned Inter Milan in the Champions League, beating last season's runners-up 3-1 in the first leg of their knockout phase play-off tie
Kenyan esports star Kappa lands a professional deal in Morocco
The top two players in eBotola League will earn direct qualification to the Esports World Cup in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, scheduled for July 2026.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS