EACC to recover land grabbed by developers in central Kenya

Central
By Lydiah Nyawira | Nov 29, 2022
EACC intends to recover prime land worth Sh2 billion. [iStockphoto]

The Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC) intends to recover prime land worth Sh2 billion in central Kenya said to have been grabbed by private developers.

Speaking during the launch of a corruption risk assessment report, Central Regional Manager Abraham Kemboi said the land belonged to the Judiciary, the Roads ministry and State Department for Public Works.

"Cases of land grabbing are rampant in many counties nationally with Nyeri, Laikipia, Murang'a, Kirinyaga, and Nyandarua being targeted by land grabbers who take ownership of public or government land for their own gain using fake title deeds," said Mr Kemboi.

The EACC officer urged individuals who have illegally acquired the 130 parcels of government land to surrender the title deeds.

"In Nyeri town, 60 parcels of land worth Sh1 billion have been grabbed by unknown private developers. The titles have been revoked as investigations are going on," said Mr Kemboi.

He said that in Nanyuki town, land grabbers had taken possession of 40 parcels of land valued at Sh900 million, which had been set aside to build the county commissioner's residence, police stations and a chief's camp as well as to expand the Nanyuki Law Courts.

Nyeri Deputy Governor David Kinaniri said the county government had recovered 100 acres of land at Narumoru. He said land grabbing had hindered plans to build residential houses and offices.

Share this story
China claims two snow golds at Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics
China claimed two golds on snow at the Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics on Wednesday, while Norway's cross-country sensation Johannes Hoesflot Klaebo raised his Winter Olympic gold medal tally to ten.
Sevilla coach Almeyda banned for seven games after clash with referee
Sevilla coach Matias Almeyda has been banned for seven matches after his red card last weekend during a La Liga draw with Alaves.
All World Cup matches sold out, says FIFA's Infantino
All 104 matches of the 2026 World Cup will be "sold out," FIFA president Gianni Infantino says, even though tickets are still available ahead of the June 11 kickoff.
Bodo-Glimt stun Inter, Gordon hits four in Newcastle Champions League romp
Norway's Bodo/Glimt stunned Inter Milan in the Champions League, beating last season's runners-up 3-1 in the first leg of their knockout phase play-off tie
Kenyan esports star Kappa lands a professional deal in Morocco
The top two players in eBotola League will earn direct qualification to the Esports World Cup in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, scheduled for July 2026.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS