Government bans over 50 harmful pesticide brands

Business
By David Njaaga | May 07, 2025
Agriculture Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe (left), Head of Public Service Felix Koskei (centre) and Nakuru Governor Susan Kihika. [Courtesy]

The government has banned more than 50 harmful pesticide brands, particularly those already prohibited in their countries of origin.

Speaking on Wednesday, in Molo, Nakuru, Agriculture and Livestock Development Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe said the government is determined to promote safer, locally-produced alternatives.

The CS announced plans to expand pyrethrum farming from the current 10,000 acres to more than 70,000 acres countrywide.

"This will boost local pesticide production and create thousands of jobs for Kenyans," he said.

Kagwe made the remarks during the launch of the distribution of one million clean pyrethrum planting materials.

The event was attended by Head of Public Service Felix Koskei, Nakuru Governor Susan Kihika and Nyandarua Governor Kiarie Badilisha.

The CS said the move is aimed at ending Kenya's dependence on imported chemicals and ensuring farmers have access to safe, affordable pest control solutions.

"We want to make sure Kenya leads in natural pesticide production while protecting farmers and consumers," said Kagwe.

Koskei regretted that pyrethrum was once a top cash crop in Kenya but declined due to poor management and market issues.

"With this expansion, we are determined to restore Kenya's position as a global pyrethrum leader," he said.

Share this story
Kenya faces mounting pressure to wrap up China trade pact
Kenya is under growing pressure to finalise its bilateral trade agreement with China as Beijing extends zero-tariff access to African partners.
Why dignity should be at the heart of Kenya's digital lending
The article argues that dignity, fairness and consumer protection must anchor Kenya’s fast-growing digital lending sector to safeguard borrowers from exploitation.
Gulf Energy secures oil rig ahead of Lokichar project kick-off
Gulf Energy, the firm that last year took over the Turkana oil project, says it has leased an oil rig from a Middle Eastern firm that will be used to drill oil wells in Lokichar.
Big win for Ruto as court clears path for sale of key State firms
President William Ruto’s administration scored a major legal victory after the High Court declared the Privatisation Act 2025 constitutional, paving the way for the sale of key State corporations.
PwC now seeks buyers for Koko Networks assets
PwC has launched a search for buyers to acquire the business or assets of the collapsed Koko Networks Ltd, as administrators move to recover value for creditors.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS