State hasn't leased out swathes of Kwale mine land, says PS

Business
By Philip Mwakio | Jul 15, 2024
Principal Secretary for Mining Elijah Mwangi at a recent event. [Robert Tomno, Standard]

Huge tracts of land initially leased to Base Titanium Ltd in Kwale County have not been re-leased to other investors, Mining Principal Secretary Elijah Mwangi has said.

Quelling fears among the locals, Mwangi said the ministry would conduct a public participation exercise for residents to provide their input on how the land should be utilised.

Base Titanium, after winding up its activities in Kwale, is returning land ahead of the winding up of its operations by December this year.

Mr Mwangi said mineral resources had been exhausted and it did not make economic sense for another investor to apply for a license to mine there. He was speaking at Kinondo village in Msambweni sub-county during an introductory meeting ahead of the public participation exercise on how the land will be utilised.

"My office has not received any application or expression of interest from anyone over the Base Titanium's land. We are here to engage the community on what we should do with the land after the company stops operating," he said.

Over the last months, speculation was rife in Kwale County that a mysterious foreign investor had acquired thousands of acres of land.

The speculations triggered a public uproar from community organisations and other public interest groups that threatened to hold demonstrations to protest against this illegal land allocation.

With Base Titanium set to exit mining operations in December before the expiry of its special mining licence in June 2025, there has been interest in the fate of multi-billion shillings' assets including land, vehicles, piped water systems, boreholes, and water pans amongst others.

Share this story
Gulf Energy secures oil rig ahead of Lokichar project kick-off
Gulf Energy, the firm that last year took over the Turkana oil project, says it has leased an oil rig from a Middle Eastern firm that will be used to drill oil wells in Lokichar.
Big win for Ruto as court clears path for sale of key State firms
President William Ruto’s administration scored a major legal victory after the High Court declared the Privatisation Act 2025 constitutional, paving the way for the sale of key State corporations.
PwC now seeks buyers for Koko Networks assets
PwC has launched a search for buyers to acquire the business or assets of the collapsed Koko Networks Ltd, as administrators move to recover value for creditors.
Kenya Pipeline Company IPO extended by three working days
The Kenya Pipeline Company’s IPO has been extended by three days following approval by the Capital Markets Authority.
When fundamentals are stable but the patient is terrified
Kenya‘s Central Bank has reduced inflation without hurting the currency, lowered rates without causing capital flight and has established the credibility that gives Kenya options.  
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS