Nairobi traders say they lost Sh2b in demos

Haki Africa's Hussein Khalid talks to activist Boniface Mwangi (in a police car) outside Milimani Law Courts on June 19, 2024. [Denish Ochieng, Standard]

Traders in Nairobi's Central Business District said they lost up to Sh2 billion during the Tuesday protests in the city.

On Wednesday, the traders were counting losses following day-long protests that led to the closure of their premises.

They blamed the police for the losses arguing the protests did not need force to quell.

"We estimate the loss is about Sh2 billion and even the Nairobi County government experienced it through poor collection of parking fees," said Nairobi Central Business District Community Chairman Wilfred Kamau.

He said that future protests should be designated to particular areas so that they do not interfere with other people's activities.

"The protestors should target their respective MPs offices and air their grievances. This will ensure that our businesses are not disrupted," said Kamau.

Fridah Nduki, the owner of a small grocery store in the city centre, was one of the many traders caught in the crossfire.

"Demonstrators took advantage of the situation to break into shops," she said.

The Finance Bill aimed to raise government revenues through a raft of new tax measures, including a 2.5 per cent annual Motor Vehicle Tax, 16 per cent VAT on bread, an Eco levy on locally manufactured goods, and excise duty on locally assembled motorcycles.

The government has since dropped several of the contentious proposals, including the vehicle tax, VAT on bread, Eco levy, and motorcycle excise duty.

However, many traders argue the damage has already been done, with the protests exacerbating the economic burden that has dampened consumer spending power.

"Even with the revisions, the Bill will affect my customers, reducing my sales," Nduki said, highlighting the Bill's indirect toll on small businesses.

Joseph Otieno, another trader, recounted a different challenge arising from the chaos: a breach of trust with his employer, who accused him of colluding with protestors described as his "goon friends".

Otieno challenged the government's confrontational approach, arguing it has only compounded businesses' losses.

"The government needs to find better alternatives to tackling protesters than chasing them in running battles that disrupt economic activities," he urged.

As Nairobi returns to normalcy, the lasting impacts of the Finance Bill tumult remain uncertain. Tuesday's events have laid bare deep-seated frustrations with economic and governance policies while raising doubts about the government's ability to navigate fiscal challenges without inflaming public anger.

Businesses now await a resolution that can restore stability and spur economic growth without further straining the livelihoods of ordinary Kenyans.

Share this story
Gulf Energy secures oil rig ahead of Lokichar project kick-off
Gulf Energy, the firm that last year took over the Turkana oil project, says it has leased an oil rig from a Middle Eastern firm that will be used to drill oil wells in Lokichar.
Big win for Ruto as court clears path for sale of key State firms
President William Ruto’s administration scored a major legal victory after the High Court declared the Privatisation Act 2025 constitutional, paving the way for the sale of key State corporations.
PwC now seeks buyers for Koko Networks assets
PwC has launched a search for buyers to acquire the business or assets of the collapsed Koko Networks Ltd, as administrators move to recover value for creditors.
Kenya Pipeline Company IPO extended by three working days
The Kenya Pipeline Company’s IPO has been extended by three days following approval by the Capital Markets Authority.
When fundamentals are stable but the patient is terrified
Kenya‘s Central Bank has reduced inflation without hurting the currency, lowered rates without causing capital flight and has established the credibility that gives Kenya options.  
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS