Safaricom responds to client's complaint on 'strange' M-Pesa transaction

Business
By Mate Tongola | Feb 07, 2023
Safaricom says no M-Pesa transaction can go through without a PIN prompt. [Courtesy of Freepik]

Telecommunications company Safaricom has moved to allay fears after a subscriber complained that an M-Pesa transaction was automatically started on his phone without his authorisation.

Facebook user Alvan Love took to the social media platform on Monday, February 6 to allege that his phone "tried to send money by itself".

"It started with a notification. My SIM [automatically] asked me to accept or decline [the transaction]. I accepted, and the next thing, I saw the M-Pesa menu pop up before the phone started doing things by itself (sic)," said Alvan.

His Facebook post attracted at least 830 comments and 30 shares, with most respondents expressing concern at the safety of their mobile money wallets.

Safaricom, thereafter, reached Alvan via messenger and explained that it was trying out a new M-Pesa feature.

The telco said the transaction couldn't go through because, during the trial, it did not ask or prompt the client to enter his PIN.

"Hello Alvan, we extend to you our most sincere apologies regarding the experience with our M-Pesa service. The issue was as a result of M-pesa system menu push for the newly developed M-Pesa withdrawal menu. Your M-Pesa account was not accessed as there was no PIN entry request," said Safaricom via a response sent by one of its representatives who signed off with the initials AO.

Share this story
Gulf Energy secures oil rig ahead of Lokichar project kick-off
Gulf Energy, the firm that last year took over the Turkana oil project, says it has leased an oil rig from a Middle Eastern firm that will be used to drill oil wells in Lokichar.
Big win for Ruto as court clears path for sale of key State firms
President William Ruto’s administration scored a major legal victory after the High Court declared the Privatisation Act 2025 constitutional, paving the way for the sale of key State corporations.
PwC now seeks buyers for Koko Networks assets
PwC has launched a search for buyers to acquire the business or assets of the collapsed Koko Networks Ltd, as administrators move to recover value for creditors.
Kenya Pipeline Company IPO extended by three working days
The Kenya Pipeline Company’s IPO has been extended by three days following approval by the Capital Markets Authority.
When fundamentals are stable but the patient is terrified
Kenya‘s Central Bank has reduced inflation without hurting the currency, lowered rates without causing capital flight and has established the credibility that gives Kenya options.  
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS