Plan to split Safaricom still on, says CBK

Business
By Brian Ngugi | Jan 31, 2023
Safaricom headquarters, Nairobi. [Wilberforce Okwiri, Standard]

Plans to split Kenya's biggest telco are still ongoing, the Central Bank of Kenya (CBK) has said following the expiry of an earlier suggested timeline.

Airtel Kenya last October completed the separation of its telecommunications business from mobile money.

The move set the stage for Safaricom and Telkom Kenya to follow suit.

CBK Governor Patrick Njoroge earlier said a road map for the split of the telco's business units was to be in place by last month.

On Tuesday he said that while there were delays, the plans were afoot. "This (plan) is ongoing," said Dr Njoroge even as he maintained the separation of the units is ideal for both customers and the telco.

"There have been some telcos that have already done this. It is important for many reasons. You can see already in the banking sector there has been a good separation of the banking business from all the other businesses; you have insurance and leasing and all those are separated."

CBK had said it would back legal efforts to compel Safaricom, Airtel Kenya and Telkom Kenya to split their telecommunications businesses from mobile money transfer and lending units.

Past legal attempts have failed amid mounting concerns that Safaricom has become too big through its dominant market share in voice, mobile data and mobile money.

The Kenya Kwanza administration had earlier committed to having Safaricom split into stand-alone business units.

Share this story
Kenya faces mounting pressure to wrap up China trade pact
Kenya is under growing pressure to finalise its bilateral trade agreement with China as Beijing extends zero-tariff access to African partners.
Why dignity should be at the heart of Kenya's digital lending
The article argues that dignity, fairness and consumer protection must anchor Kenya’s fast-growing digital lending sector to safeguard borrowers from exploitation.
Gulf Energy secures oil rig ahead of Lokichar project kick-off
Gulf Energy, the firm that last year took over the Turkana oil project, says it has leased an oil rig from a Middle Eastern firm that will be used to drill oil wells in Lokichar.
Big win for Ruto as court clears path for sale of key State firms
President William Ruto’s administration scored a major legal victory after the High Court declared the Privatisation Act 2025 constitutional, paving the way for the sale of key State corporations.
PwC now seeks buyers for Koko Networks assets
PwC has launched a search for buyers to acquire the business or assets of the collapsed Koko Networks Ltd, as administrators move to recover value for creditors.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS