I don't fear Wanyonyi, declares Nakuru-based pugilist Owino

Boxing
By Ochieng Oyugi | Jul 19, 2025
Kenya's Daniel Wanyonyi (right) fights Kaminja Ramadhan of Tanzania in a past bout. [Stafford Ondego, Standard]

Former African Boxing Union light heavyweight champion Daniel Wanyonyi is finally set to defend his national super middleweight title at the historic Charter Hall in Nairobi tonight.

Wanyonyi will take on a new challenger and Nakuru-based fighter Daniel Okoth Owino in an eight-round duel after holding the title for 15 years.

The mouthwatering 'Roar In The Ring' challenge, spearheaded by Ezekiel Mwabili of Melk Promotions will be Wanyonyi's first fight of the season after missing an international title duel in Germany in May.

Wanyonyi's German opponent injured his thumb, which led to the crucial international fixture being called off at the last minute.

Wanyonyi will be out to use the Charter Hall fight on Saturday to increase his bargaining power for another title fight set for the United Kingdom later in the year.

"I have trained so well. I have been in the gym since Christmas Day, so I have prepared for this bout adequately at the Pal Pal Gym in Nairobi under coach Julius Odhiambo, so I have no pressure at all," 42-year-old Wanyonyi told Standard Sports.

"I can say we are ready to defend this title after going 15 straight years without an opponent, and I want to commend Owino for his courage to come out of the closet to challenge for the belt. I urge other pugilists not to fear champions, they should take very bold steps the way Owino has done," underlined Wanyonyi, who so far has had 48 career fights, including 30 wins (24KOs), 16 losses (11KOs) and 2 draws.

On the other hand, it will be the first time that Owino will be going for the jugular in a title fight.

The 35-year-old father of two has been stepping up his training in dusty terrains of Kivumbini zone in Nakuru where he also doubles as a gym instructor.

"My preparation for this fight has been thorough, I'm ready for the fight. I don't fear Wanyonyi!" he declared.

"Anything can happen in the ring, an upset maybe, so I urge my fans to expect war as I put my life on the line for this belt," stated optimistic Owino.

Mwabili urged Kenyans to come out in their numbers to witness the 14-bout card that will also showcase two para boxing contests.

"The bouts, that have been properly mashed up, will involve pugilists from Kenya, Uganda, and Tanzania. We are out to make Kenya the Mecca of boxing, and this is the reason we are bringing in such a calibre of fighters to the country," Mwabili explained.

Kenya Professional Boxing Commission president Reuben Ndolo, who paid tribute to fallen boxing legend Isaiah Akhaule Ikhoni, who will be laid to rest at his Ongata Rongai home today, urged fans to go to Charter Hall to grace the expected thrilling showpieces.

"It will be a night of explosives. As a federation, we are also setting history with the para boxing showdowns. No one should afford to miss the night where records will be smashed while others will tumble," Ndolo stated.

Share this story
Sevilla coach Almeyda banned for seven games after clash with referee
Sevilla coach Matias Almeyda has been banned for seven matches after his red card last weekend during a La Liga draw with Alaves.
All World Cup matches sold out, says FIFA's Infantino
All 104 matches of the 2026 World Cup will be "sold out," FIFA president Gianni Infantino says, even though tickets are still available ahead of the June 11 kickoff.
Bodo-Glimt stun Inter, Gordon hits four in Newcastle Champions League romp
Norway's Bodo/Glimt stunned Inter Milan in the Champions League, beating last season's runners-up 3-1 in the first leg of their knockout phase play-off tie
Kenyan esports star Kappa lands a professional deal in Morocco
The top two players in eBotola League will earn direct qualification to the Esports World Cup in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, scheduled for July 2026.
Arteta urges Arsenal to 'stand up' after title bid rocked by Wolves draw
Mikel Arteta admitted Arsenal deserve criticism for the self-inflicted wounds that threaten to ruin their Premier League title bid after the leaders blew a two-goal lead
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS