Muhammad Ali’s son: I expected to inherit Sh516m after my father’s death, now I’m surviving on less than Sh700 a day

Boxing
By Mirror | Dec 15, 2018
Ali, Jr had been living on the poverty line for the last decade in one of the toughest neighborhoods on Chicago's notorious South Side

Muhammad Ali’s only biological son has claimed he is surviving on less than £6 a day and is forced to do odd jobs to make ends meet.

Muhammad Ali Junior expected to inherit £4million (Sh516million) after the boxing legend’s death, aged 74, in 2016.

But he claims all he receives is a small allowance from the estate, meaning he will spend Christmas penniless.

Junior said: “I have no plans for Christmas. I’m just trying to make a living.

“I’ll do anything – construction, break­­ing up concrete, painting, but at the moment I’m making nothing. I cut grass, pull hedges, weeds, clean shutters, clean gutters. My friend lets me use his truck and equipment and I give him half.”

Junior, 46, lives in a dingy room in a three-bedroom condo in Miami.

Estranged wife Shaakira, 49, and their two young children live in Englewood, Chicago – a neighbourhood with one of the worst crime rates in the US.

He and Shaakira are barely on speak­­ing terms after she gave an interview in 2016, wrongly claiming he ran away to Florida with his fortune.

Yet Junior said he received no windfall and moved to be nearer his mother, his father’s first wife Khalilah, and to find corporate work. But that did not work out.

He had expected to share his father’s £50million estate with the boxer’s fourth wife Lonnie, seven daughters and adopted son Assad.

Boxing great Muhammad Ali died on June 3, 2016

However, tensions have existed between Junior and his stepmother for decades.

Lonnie, 61, who had power of attorney over the fortune, is understood to have helped to write the ex-heavyweight champ’s will before his death.

Junior claimed the Muhammad Ali Estate gives him only $1,000 a month– about £560 for rent and a further £240.

He has no bank account and has to pay commission to cash the cheques. It leaves him with £159 a month – or £5.70 a day – after bills.

Junior said: “I miss my kids so much. My wife said I ­abandoned them and got mil­­lions, which was wrong. Even though I earn next to nothing, I’d love to send money back home for the kids or be able to afford a flight to Chicago.”

Junior believes other ­relatives get more money but he cannot know as they have not spoken for two years.

He added: “It makes me feel like crap but I deal with it. What else can I do?

“I try to get more money from the estate but they won’t do it. They say, ‘We’ll give it to you when you need it’.

“Last time I asked for more they ­actually cut it by a hundred bucks.”

The Muhammad Ali estate was contacted for a comment.

Share this story
Under-20 talents to face off in battle for tickets to world event in Eugene
The World Under-20 Championships is set for August 5-9 in Eugene.
Over 2,500 players to battle it out in Duracoat Golf Masters Series
The Duracoat Golf Masters series 2026 will be played at 12 venues before the grand finale that will be staged at Mount Kipipiri at the end of the year. 
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS