Boxing KOs removed after controversies at the Rio Games

Boxing
By Standard Reporter | Oct 07, 2016
[PHOTO: COURTESY]

All 36 referees and judges used at the Rio Olympic boxing have been removed for the time being as the sport’s amateur governing body investigates the officiating which overshadowed the action in the ring, it said yesterday.

Several beaten fighters in Rio alleged they had been the victim of poor or even corrupt judging at the August Olympics and the International Boxing Association (AIBA) sent home an undisclosed number of referees and judges at the time, while strenuously denying claims of corruption and threatening legal action.

“Rio 2016 was a watershed moment for AIBA. Boxing was in the spotlight for positive reasons, but occasionally also for the wrong ones,” AIBA president Wu Ching-Kuo said, after top officials held talks in Lausanne, Switzerland this week to discuss how to avoid more controversy when Olympic boxing takes centre stage once more in Tokyo in 2020.

In Rio professional fighters took part at an Olympics for the first time — in the event only three made it —and AIBA also binned headguards for men boxers, both part of moves to make Games boxing closer to the pro fight game and thus more attractive to the public.

The AIBA said these reforms had enjoyed a “seamless integration”, but admitted that “a small number of decisions under debate indicated that further reforms... were necessary”.

“The results of a specific R&J (referees and judges) investigation, currently under way, will allow AIBA to fully assess what action needs to be taken,” it said in a statement.

“In the mean time, it has been decided that all 36 R&Js that were used at the Olympic Games will not officiate at any AIBA event until the investigation reaches its conclusion”.

Despite the judging controversies the AIBA said it would stick with the “10-point must system” of scoring bouts based on the same method of scoring professional fights.

That means no return to the punch-counting method used at some previous Olympics that also threw up numerous scandals, although the AIBA will make some subtle tweaks in an effort to make scoring more transparent.

Share this story
Sevilla coach Almeyda banned for seven games after clash with referee
Sevilla coach Matias Almeyda has been banned for seven matches after his red card last weekend during a La Liga draw with Alaves.
All World Cup matches sold out, says FIFA's Infantino
All 104 matches of the 2026 World Cup will be "sold out," FIFA president Gianni Infantino says, even though tickets are still available ahead of the June 11 kickoff.
Bodo-Glimt stun Inter, Gordon hits four in Newcastle Champions League romp
Norway's Bodo/Glimt stunned Inter Milan in the Champions League, beating last season's runners-up 3-1 in the first leg of their knockout phase play-off tie
Kenyan esports star Kappa lands a professional deal in Morocco
The top two players in eBotola League will earn direct qualification to the Esports World Cup in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, scheduled for July 2026.
Arteta urges Arsenal to 'stand up' after title bid rocked by Wolves draw
Mikel Arteta admitted Arsenal deserve criticism for the self-inflicted wounds that threaten to ruin their Premier League title bid after the leaders blew a two-goal lead
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS