School games: Ng'iya Girls ready to defend Siaya County basketball crown

Basketball
By Washington Onyango | Mar 04, 2025
Ng'iya Girls during a training session on February 20, 2024 in Siaya. [Washington Onyango, Standard]

Defending champions Ng'iya Girls will be out to retain their basketball girls' title when the Siaya County Secondary School Term One Games begin on Wednesday.

The three-day championship will be co-hosted by Wagwer Secondary School, Nyagondo Mixed Secondary School, and Ng'iya Girls High School.

Ng'iya Girls stunned perennial basketball powerhouse Barchando 32-19 last year to lift their maiden county title, securing a historic regional finals qualification after a decade-long wait.

This year, the Naftali Ambala-coached side is determined to defend their crown as they take on Lwak, Aluor, and Nyawara in Group A.

"Our preparations have been intense, and the girls are ready to give their best," said Ambala.

"Winning the title last year was a major achievement, but defending it will be an even bigger challenge. The competition is stiff, but we are focusing on playing our game and ensuring we qualify for the next stage."

In Group B, former champions Barchando headline the pool and they will face off against Rangala Girls, Usinda, and Mbaga Girls.

Meanwhile, in hockey girls, former East Africa and national champions Nyamira Girls will be aiming to extend their decade-long dominance at the county level. They will face Nyawara and Mbaga in Group A.

In Group B, last year's runners-up, Ng'iya Girls, will take on Lwak and Sinaga as they seek to dethrone Nyamira.

"Our objective is clear - we want to challenge for the title and earn a spot at the regionals," said Ng'iya Girls hockey coach Edwin Ogony. "Nyamira has been a dominant force, but we believe we have what it takes to compete at their level."

Siaya County Secondary School Sports Association chairman Ngala Mbuor assured that preparations for the games were complete, with security and talent development being key priorities.

"We have put measures in place to ensure the safety of all students and officials. Beyond competition, our goal is to nurture young talent and provide a platform for our students to shine at higher levels," said Mbuor.

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS