LeBron James suspended by the NBA for the first time in his 19-year career

Basketball
By Reuters | Nov 24, 2021

FILE: Nov 19, 2021; Boston, Massachusetts, USA; Los Angeles Lakers forward LeBron James [USA TODAY Sports]

Los Angeles Lakers forward LeBron James has been handed a one-game suspension without pay and Detroit Piston's Isaiah Stewart a two-game suspension after an on-court incident on Sunday where a swing of James' arm bloodied Stewart's face, the NBA said.

James was suspended for "recklessly hitting Stewart in the face and initiating an on-court altercation," Byron Spruell, president of league operations, said in a statement on Monday.

Stewart, who plays center, escalated the situation by "repeatedly and aggressively pursuing" James, leading to his two-game suspension, Spruell said.

Stewart was assessed two technical fouls, James was assessed a flagrant foul penalty two, and both players were ejected from Sunday's game, which the Lakers won 121-116.

Stewart will serve his suspensions on Tuesday, when the Pistons host the Miami Heat, and Wednesday, when Detroit take on the Bucks in Milwaukee.

James will serve his suspension Tuesday, when the Lakers visit the New York Knicks.

Earlier on Monday, The Athletic reported that James had sought to contact Stewart by phone after the game to apologize for striking him and to reiterate that it was not done intentionally.

The hit drew significant blood from Stewart's forehead and he flew into a rage as he repeatedly tried to confront James.

Four-time NBA champion James, 36, is playing in his 19th NBA season and has only been ejected from one other game in his career, a November 2017 game against the Miami Heat. This is his first suspension.

Pistons head coach Dwane Casey said the 20-year-old Stewart received eight stitches to treat the wound.

Share this story
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
World Boxing and IBA fete Kenyan referees as Mwaura promoted
Two Star 3 Kenyan referees and judges have been feted by World Boxing (WB) as Edward Kibunja Mwaura of Kenya Prisons was promoted by International Boxing Association. 
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS