Closure of schools leaves games in limbo ahead of national event

Athletics
By Mike Nyagwoka | Aug 03, 2022
Nyanchwa Boys basket ball player Kadafa meshack battles the ball with Kisii School's Davies Moseti during Kisii Sub County games at Kisii school on 28/7/2022. Nyanchwa boys defeated Kisii School 54-36 to retain Kisii County Champions title.(Sammy Omingo,Standard)

Education Cabinet Secretary George Magoha ordered all schools closed by yesterday against the initial closure date of Friday, August 5.

The abrupt closure order was to pave way for the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission to prepare for next Tuesday's General Election where over 250 schools will be used as tallying centres while thousands will be used as polling centres.

However, the government move has disrupted secondary schools games, which were to advance to the county level this weekend.
"It is so sad as most schools had prepared to host and others participate at the county games," said Kenya Secondary Schools Sports Association Vice Chairman Julius Maiyo.

Maiyo, who is the Principal of Kapsabet Boys High School, said their calendar of sports has been disrupted.

Most of the schools countrywide had participated in the zonal and sub-county games and had invested heavily for the county and regional games.

Kenya Secondary Schools Heads Association National Chairman Kahi Indumuli and the Kenya Union of Post Primary Education Teachers Secretary Akelo Misori said the closure has disrupted the delivery of the curriculum including co-curricular activities.

In Mombasa, the county games were scheduled to start tomorrow and end on Friday at Shanzu Teachers Training College and Shimo La Tewa High School.

Kwale County games were to be held on Saturday and Sunday at Kinango Secondary School. All accommodation arrangements including purchasing of food for the participating teams had been done.

With the new and unforeseen changes, county games will be held after the mid-term, which is expected to be next week, after the elections.

Meanwhile, in Taita Taveta's sub county games held in Mwatate, Dr Aggrey High School remained favourites to represent Coast region in boys' basketball at the national games after they easily lifted the title.

The school humiliated St Mary's Lushangoni and Canon Kituri 129-13 and 189-8 respectively.

The winners have been actively participating in the Coast basketball league as they seek to remain in top shape. The Coast region games are slated for August 23-27 at Kwale High School.
In Kakamega Central sub-county games, former national champions Green Commandos defeated Matioli Secondary School 5-0 in boys' under-19 football final.
Kakamega had beaten Shikoti Mixed Secondary School 4-0 in the quarter-finals and before thrashing Eshisiru 10-0 on their way to the final.

Share this story
Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Junior Starlets have set their sights on a crucial away win over Uganda’s Teen Cranes as they aim to secure their return to the global stage.
Under-20 talents to face off in battle for tickets to world event in Eugene
The World Under-20 Championships is set for August 5-9 in Eugene.
Over 2,500 players to battle it out in Duracoat Golf Masters Series
The Duracoat Golf Masters series 2026 will be played at 12 venues before the grand finale that will be staged at Mount Kipipiri at the end of the year. 
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS