World 100 metres champion Coleman banned for two years, to miss Olympics

Athletics
By Reuters | Oct 27, 2020
World Athletics Championships - Doha 2019 - Men's 4x100 Metres Relay Final - Khalifa International Stadium, Doha, Qatar - October 5, 2019. Christian Coleman of the U.S. before the race. [REUTERS/Hannah Mckay]

World 100 metres champion Christian Coleman will miss next year’s Tokyo Olympics after being banned for two years for breaching whereabouts rules, the Athletics Integrity Unit (AIU) said on Tuesday.

Coleman, who narrowly escaped a ban last year for missing three doping tests, was provisionally suspended by the AIU in June.

The American sprinter had claimed at the time that anti-doping officials had not followed procedure when he missed them after going Christmas shopping on Dec. 9, 2019 at a time when he had said he would be at home.

"We impose on the athlete a period of ineligibility of two years, which will end on May 13, 2022" the AIU said in a statement on its website.

“The decision may be appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.”

Three failures to properly file whereabouts information or being absent during the hour stated in a 12-month period can result in a one- or two-year suspension.

Coleman, also a silver medallist in the 100m and 4x100m relay at the 2017 worlds, escaped suspension last year when the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA), after receiving guidance from the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) on how to calculate the 12-month window for three missed tests, withdrew the charge.

The sprinter later demanded an apology from USADA, but two of those misses have now combined with the latest failure to result in a ban. (Reporting by Simon Jennings in Bengaluru, editing by Pritha Sarkar)

Christian Coleman, left, of the United States cross the finish line to place first in the men's 100m during the Diamond League Memorial Van Damme athletics event at the King Baudouin stadium in Brussels on Friday, Aug. 31, 2018. (AP Photo/Geert Vanden Wijngaert)

 

Share this story
African stars in Europe: Antoine Semenyo wins it for City
Antoine Semenyo produced one of the great FA Cup final goals with an audacious back-flick that sealed a 1-0 win for Manchester City over Chelsea in the FA Cup final at the weekend.
Mixed results for top boxers as Police, KDF lead after first leg
Defending champions Kenya Police and Kenya Defence Forces shared the lead after the opening leg of the National Boxing League in Nakuru, as several top boxers suffered surprise defeats.
Kipyegon storms to victory in DL opener
Double Olympic champion and world record holder Faith Kipyegon made a powerful statement at the opening leg of the 2026 Diamond League season
Kenya basks in 10,000m glory at African Senior Athletics event
Diana Wanza made it a 10,000m double gold for the country when she oozed class in the women’s 25-lap contest on Friday evening.
Eldonets and Stanbic Aces win as UoN, Strathmore students falter
Eldonets rallied from behind to beat University of Nairobi (UoN) Dynamites 67-48, while the bankers defeated Strathmore University Swords 56-46.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS