Old vs new: Ngong residents celebrate relocation of dumpsite

NEWS
By Peterson Githaiga | Jun 26, 2022

For more than 20 years, Ngong residents have been enduring the pungent smell emanating from the largest dumpsite in Kajiado County. The dumpsite located at the heart of the town, was an eyesore and a source of misery.

For many years, until last month, efforts to relocate the site have been failing. The residents are happy that the dumpsite is finally being moved. 
County Environment Chief Officer James Sankale said the first phase is decommissioning and rehabilitation of the site while phase two consists of constructing and developing a waste recovery (transitional centre) on land that is yet to be identified.

Joseph Sipaloi, a faithful at the local Catholic church, says the relocation of the site has given them a reprieve after suffering for many years. “It has not been easy for us to concentrate on the sermon during Sunday services. The smell has been so strong, making us uncomfortable. It’s great news that now the smell is no longer there, and we can attend the service without any problem,” Sipaloi said.

Mary Wangare, a businesswoman who operates a shop near the site, told The Nairobian it has been a struggle to make a living there due to the bad smell.
“I can now perform my business in peace and my customers are back. We no longer get repulsed by the bad smell,” Wangare said. David Musyoka says he bought land near the site more than 15 years ago. He was willing to construct rental houses but his plans were shattered.

“When I bought this land I thought the dumpsite was temporary and would be moved in a short time. However, I came to learn that it was not going to be moved and my plans to construct rental houses stopped,” Musyoka said.
“We are very grateful for this gesture as we can now breathe
fresh air,” said Lucy Muthoni, a resident.

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS