China closes US due diligence firm in Beijing

Asia
By VOA | Mar 24, 2023

The closed office of the Mintz Group is seen in an office building in Beijing on March 24, 2023. [Courtesy VOA]

Chinese officials have closed down the Beijing offices of U.S. due diligence firm Mintz Group and detained five of its employees.

The employees are all Chinese nationals.

In a statement sent to Reuters, Mintz said it "has not received any official legal notice regarding a case against the company and has requested that the authorities release its employees."

Mintz Group is a multinational company with 18 offices, including in Washington, that conducts investigations and background checks.

The closing of its Chinese office comes at a tense time in U.S.- Chinese relations. Last month, the United States shot down what it says was a Chinese spy balloon over U.S. territory. China insists the balloon was a weather monitoring device.

Share this story
Magical Kenya Open: Jastas Madoya reveals what fuels his passion for golf
The spiritual player advises young people to cultivate discipline if they want to reach the lofty heights of playing in the MKO in future.
NOC-K signs strategic MoU with Japanese Olympic Committee
The deal aims at strengthening high-performance systems, athlete development, sports science collaboration, and leadership education between Kenya and Japan.
Youthful Kinoti Kiara crowned African fencing champion
Kiara beat Egypt’s Hamza H. Abuhalwa, Mohamed El Bounjaimi of Morocco and Togo’s Ilan Tchaa Arou to the continental title.
How Chinese elements shine at Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics
From alpine venues in the snow-dusted Italian mountains to the streets of Milan, the 2026 Winter Olympics have drawn global attention.
Thunder plot Equity Bank raid as Premier League tips off
The bankers will take on ANU Wolfpacks in their second encounter on Sunday.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS