Haiti police bolster security around palace ahead of transition
America
By
VOA
| Apr 24, 2024
Haitian police deployed tear gas to move people back from a security perimeter around the National Palace while soldiers gripping rifles patrolled the international airport's diplomatic entrance on Tuesday, ahead of a planned change of government.
The palace has come under repeated fire from gangs that have paralyzed the capital, Port-au-Prince.
A nine-member presidential transition council is to be sworn in at the palace, and although no date has been announced, rumors circulated that it could happen this week.
The council is expected to name an interim prime minister and help set up a government that will eventually organize elections in the Caribbean island nation.
"Whether or not you're installed, this message is for you: Brace yourselves," gang leader Jimmy "Barbecue" Cherizier ominously warned in a Tuesday video shared on social media.
READ MORE
Big win for Ruto as court clears path for sale of key State firms
Kenya Army, KPA and Equity win as league second leg gets underway
Privatisation Act 2025 is constitutional, High Court rules
Exam cancellation: 22 former Karega Secondary School candidates yet to get 2025 KCSE results
Treasury says country's debt is sustainable
Nandi Bear: Reclaiming the forgotten heroes in Kenya's freedom struggle
Minority investors win bigger say in KenGen Board shake-up
Athletics stars set for a tough battle for honors at Sirikwa Classic
Report ranks Kenya's corruption fight among the worst globally
Kidney transplant survivor triumphs over disease to top KCSE against odds
Cherizier has called for toppling the government.
The U.S. military said on Tuesday it bolstered defenses at its embassy.
Outgoing Prime Minister Ariel Henry has for more than a year called for international troops to help police fight the gangs. But plans moved slowly and were eventually paused when he announced in March his plan to step down, pending a new interim government.
Since then, attacks have escalated, and the transition has lagged.
Port-au-Prince resident Jerry Louis expressed cautious optimism.
"The presidential council will be able to stabilize the country, but the international community must accept it," he said in an interview.
Motorcycle driver Paolo, who did not share his last name, pointed to lawlessness as a major obstacle.
The presidential council "has to put in place a minimum of security so that the population can go about its business," he said.
Gangs are accused of perpetrating widespread rape, ransom kidnappings and indiscriminate killings. The conflict has seen hundreds of thousands internally displaced, and millions pushed into acute hunger while key ports remain closed.