Haiti police bolster security around palace ahead of transition
America
By
VOA
| Apr 24, 2024
Haitian police deployed tear gas to move people back from a security perimeter around the National Palace while soldiers gripping rifles patrolled the international airport's diplomatic entrance on Tuesday, ahead of a planned change of government.
The palace has come under repeated fire from gangs that have paralyzed the capital, Port-au-Prince.
A nine-member presidential transition council is to be sworn in at the palace, and although no date has been announced, rumors circulated that it could happen this week.
The council is expected to name an interim prime minister and help set up a government that will eventually organize elections in the Caribbean island nation.
"Whether or not you're installed, this message is for you: Brace yourselves," gang leader Jimmy "Barbecue" Cherizier ominously warned in a Tuesday video shared on social media.
READ MORE
Rights groups threaten strike over rising femicide cases
Crypto users face tougher rules as state moves to tighten oversight
Doctors set 90-day ultimatum for pay talks, warn of strike
Kabras chase history as KCB seek revenge in Kenya Cup final
Mwaura: Nine in 10 new jobs created in 2025 were informal
Top bank chiefs reap millions in pay and perks on bumper profits
World Relays action kicks off in Gaborone
Sofapaka staring at relegation as Gor Mahia eye title charge
Cherizier has called for toppling the government.
The U.S. military said on Tuesday it bolstered defenses at its embassy.
Outgoing Prime Minister Ariel Henry has for more than a year called for international troops to help police fight the gangs. But plans moved slowly and were eventually paused when he announced in March his plan to step down, pending a new interim government.
Since then, attacks have escalated, and the transition has lagged.
Port-au-Prince resident Jerry Louis expressed cautious optimism.
"The presidential council will be able to stabilize the country, but the international community must accept it," he said in an interview.
Motorcycle driver Paolo, who did not share his last name, pointed to lawlessness as a major obstacle.
The presidential council "has to put in place a minimum of security so that the population can go about its business," he said.
Gangs are accused of perpetrating widespread rape, ransom kidnappings and indiscriminate killings. The conflict has seen hundreds of thousands internally displaced, and millions pushed into acute hunger while key ports remain closed.
SportPesa Premier League: APS Bomet edge Bandari to ease relegation fears
The win eased off relegation fears APS Bomet have been battling for the better part of their debut season in the Premier League.Experienced Okello, Chajira named in Kenya Lionesses squad for Rugby Africa Cup
Kenya Lionesses have named an experienced squad featuring Janet Okello and Sheila Chajira for the Rugby Africa Cup as they aim to improve on their previous runner-up finish.McCarthy set for emotional South Africa reunion after AFCON Draw
Harambee Stars coach Benni McCarthy is preparing for an emotional clash against his home country after Kenya was drawn with South Africa in the 2027 Afcon qualifiers.Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Junior Starlets have set their sights on a crucial away win over Uganda’s Teen Cranes as they aim to secure their return to the global stage.Under-20 talents to face off in battle for tickets to world event in Eugene
The World Under-20 Championships is set for August 5-9 in Eugene.MOST READ
SportPesa Premier League: APS Bomet edge Bandari to ease relegation fears
FOOTBALL