Mozambique observers warn against vote irregularities

Africa
By AFP | Oct 12, 2024

Voters queue at a polling station in Beira on October 9, 2024 before polls close during Mozambique's national election. [AFP]

Election observers in Mozambique on Friday warned against irregularities after a vote expected to renew the ruling party's grip on power, with some in the opposition already claiming fraud.

After a largely peaceful election on Wednesday, tensions were simmering in the southern African nation though official results are not expected for another two weeks.

"Observers reported stacks of folded ballot papers in ten counting processes followed, indicating possible ballot stuffing," the European Union's election observation mission to Mozambique said.

Along with the US-funded International Republican Institute (IRI) also deployed in Mozambique, observers were critical of the context in which the vote took place.

The ruling Frelimo party "disproportionately benefited from the use of state resources, including vehicles and public servants, during the campaign," said an IRI statement.

The party has been in power since independence 49 years ago.

Both the EU and IRI raised legitimacy issues with the voter roll.

"Overall, the registration rate in-country was 104 percent," the EU said, while IRI said "inflated voter rolls exceeded population estimates, particularly in Frelimo strongholds".

The IRI went further, saying "The electoral process itself has, so far, fallen short of international standards for democratic elections".

Observers from the Commonwealth, in their statement, called on "appropriate institutions provided by law to look into these matters".

They urged "political party leaders and their supporters to continue to show restraint".

Although outgoing President Filipe Nyusi, 65, is stepping down after the two terms allowed by the constitution, his party's candidate, Daniel Chapo, 47, is widely expected to win.

One of the main opposition candidates, Venancio Mondlane, 50, warned that the "regime will do everything to ensure that it does not lose the elections.

"The electoral bodies will probably release (initial) results... in which the Frelimo candidate will be in the lead," he added.

"But this is clearly falsified, adulterated data," he told reporters without providing proof of fraud.

Mondlane, an independent candidate, is backed by the small Podemos party.

Other candidates in the race include Ossufo Momade, 63, of the main opposition party Renamo; and Lutero Simango, 64, of the Mozambique Democratic Movement.

Claims of electoral fraud are not uncommon in the country. The opposition rejected the 2019 presidential election results which saw Frelimo win, and the 2023 municipal election led to clashes with several people killed.

Share this story
Arteta urges Arsenal to seize destiny in crucial Spurs showdown
Mikel Arteta has urged Arsenal F.C. to “write their own destiny” in the north London derby against Tottenham Hotspur F.C. after slipping in the Premier League title race.
Title-hungry Leopards seek to bounce back to winning ways
AFC Leopards will be aiming to return to winning form this weekend as the SportPesa Premier League resumes with a decisive round of fixtures.
Magical Kenya Open: Jastas Madoya reveals what fuels his passion for golf
The spiritual player advises young people to cultivate discipline if they want to reach the lofty heights of playing in the MKO in future.
NOC-K signs strategic MoU with Japanese Olympic Committee
The deal aims at strengthening high-performance systems, athlete development, sports science collaboration, and leadership education between Kenya and Japan.
Youthful Kinoti Kiara crowned African fencing champion
Kiara beat Egypt’s Hamza H. Abuhalwa, Mohamed El Bounjaimi of Morocco and Togo’s Ilan Tchaa Arou to the continental title.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS