WHO: 39 people die from measles in South Sudan in 4 months

Africa
By Xinhua | May 15, 2024

A child get a measles jab during a mass vaccination drive in Kenya's Mandera County. [File, Standard]

The World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday that 39 people have died from measles since January in South Sudan, with a case fatality rate of 1.7 percent.

The UN health agency, in an epidemiological report released in Juba, the capital of South Sudan, reported a total of 2,271 suspected measles cases, with 146 lab-confirmed cases.

"The observed surge in suspected measles cases, with a peak in week 10 and a steady decline since then, indicates an effective increase in interruption efforts," the report said.

The WHO said that the high discrepancy between suspected and confirmed cases highlights a critical need for enhanced sample collection and robust laboratory testing to ensure accurate diagnosis. Improving these aspects will aid in more precise outbreak investigation and reporting, allowing for more targeted public health interventions and resource allocation, according to the report.

The WHO said that there is no ongoing outbreak, but eight counties reporting suspected/confirmed cases have yet to reach the outbreak threshold, warranting further investigation and laboratory validation. In coordination with partners and the Ministry of Health, the WHO is preparing kits to aid in case management in counties experiencing an epidemic.

"The Ministry of Health, the WHO and partners are intensifying measles case management, surveillance and risk communication in locations with suspected and confirmed outbreaks," the agency said.

Share this story
It's a strong field in the Nairobi City Marathon's history
Kenyan trio of Jonathan Korir, John Langat, and Simon Kipkosgei are among the top athletes who will storm the capital city’s streets for the fifth edition of the Nairobi City Marathon.
Thousands line streets to celebrate Villa's Europa triumph
Aston Villa fans turned out in their thousands on Thursday to celebrate the English side's Europa League final triumph -- their first silverware in 30 years.
Veteran goalkeeper Neuer recalled to aid Germany World Cup bid
Veteran goalkeeper Manuel Neuer was handed a surprise recall to Germany's 26-man World Cup squad, coming out of international retirement to play in the tournament for a fifth time.
Emery urges Villa to use Europa triumph to fuel bold new era
Unai Emery urged Aston Villa to use their historic Europa League final triumph against Freiburg as the foundation for an "ambitious" new era.
DR Congo cancel World Cup training in Kinshasa amid Ebola outbreak
The Democratic Republic of Congo team have cancelled a planned pre-World Cup training camp at home after the country was hit by an Ebola outbreak
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS