Sierra Leone authorities destroy Sh27m worth of drugs

Africa
By AFP | Apr 22, 2024
Sierra Leone National Drugs Enforcement Agency officers look on as they burn narcotics in Freetown on April 20, 2024. [AFP]

Sierra Leone authorities on Saturday burned Sh27m ($200,000) worth of narcotic drugs and chemicals used to manufacture the synthetic drug kush, two weeks after drug abuse was declared a national emergency.

Several law enforcement agencies were present at the Sierra Leone Police Training Academy in the capital, Freetown, as a small crowd gathered around the bellowing fire and rising smoke.

Kush - a mixture of chemical substances with similar effects to cannabis - has been prevalent in the West African country for several years.

"We are destroying confiscated narcotics, tramadol and chemicals used for the manufacturing of kush... to avoid the likelihood of (them) going back to the community," said Mohamed Alieu, head of a police transnational organised crime unit, during a short ceremony to mark the burning of the drugs.

They also burned cannabis and cocaine, according to the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency.

"We are waging a war against kush to save the youths of Sierra Leone from dying of drug addiction," said the agency's Executive Director Andrew Jaia KaiKai.

"Our country is in a state of drug confusion and we must eradicate it to protect the future generation," said Joseph Lahai, director of the police's crime services.

The Sierra Leone President Julius Maada Bio said earlier this month that drug abuse in the country was a "national emergency".

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS