Flash floods leave at least 1,000 homeless in northern Tanzania
Africa
By
Xinhua
| Apr 16, 2024
At least 1,000 people have been left homeless due to flash floods caused by ongoing heavy rains in Tanzania's northern region of Arusha, an official said on Monday.
Paul Makonda, regional commissioner of Arusha, said the victims were left homeless after their homes had been submerged or destroyed by flash floods over the past two weeks.
"The regional authorities are counting the loss caused by the floods before they release a final assessment," Makonda said at the end of a one-day inspection tour of the flood-affected areas.
READ MORE
US sanctions DR Congo ex-leader Kabila over rebel ties
UN helps return hundreds of DR Congo refugees from Burundi
DR Congo, M23 armed group agree to ease aid, free prisoners
Government plans stricter laws to clean up tea sector
Violence against journalists in DR Congo rising, says RSF
Tea farmers against some clauses in the tea amendment bill
Ruto strips agriculture body of coffee role in sector shake-up
French aid worker killed in DR Congo air strike
Rwanda hits back at US sanctions over M23 support in DR Congo
US slaps sanctions on Rwanda military over DR Congo 'violation'
He urged people in the flooded areas to move to higher ground to avoid more disastrous consequences.
Mobhare Matinyi, chief government spokesperson and director of information services, said on Sunday that 58 people had been killed by flash floods in 10 regions of Tanzania's mainland in the past two weeks, including 10 in Arusha Region.
Matinyi cited police reports that 58 people were killed between April 1 and 13.