60 migrants feared dead in Mediterranean crossing

Africa
By Xinhua | Mar 15, 2024
A Tunisian national coast guard helps a migran child to get off a rescue boat in Jbeniana, Safx, Tunisia April 23, 2022. [Reuters]

At least 60 people are feared to have died at sea and 25 others were rescued, the European migrant rescue organization SOS Mediterranee said on Thursday.

SOS Mediterranee said the boat departed from Zawiya, Libya, seven days before being rescued by the organization's Ocean Viking ship. The refugee's boat's engine failed three days after its departure, leaving the vessel adrift for days without fresh water or food.

According to survivors, multiple women and at least one child were among the deceased. The 25 survivors were in grave condition. Two of them were unconscious when rescued and had to be sent to a hospital on Italy's Sicily island by helicopter.

The organization reported other significant rescues recently. On Wednesday, 113 migrants, including six women and two children, were rescued from a two-level wooden craft. On Thursday, 88 were rescued from a rubber boat. No fatalities were reported from these two operations.

Based on their recent rescue operations, SOS Mediterranee said there was an increase in the number of boats carrying refugees from Libya, rather than Tunisia, which had been the main point of departure for migrant ships over the years.

Share this story
Arteta urges Arsenal to seize destiny in crucial Spurs showdown
Mikel Arteta has urged Arsenal F.C. to “write their own destiny” in the north London derby against Tottenham Hotspur F.C. after slipping in the Premier League title race.
Title-hungry Leopards seek to bounce back to winning ways
AFC Leopards will be aiming to return to winning form this weekend as the SportPesa Premier League resumes with a decisive round of fixtures.
Magical Kenya Open: Jastas Madoya reveals what fuels his passion for golf
The spiritual player advises young people to cultivate discipline if they want to reach the lofty heights of playing in the MKO in future.
NOC-K signs strategic MoU with Japanese Olympic Committee
The deal aims at strengthening high-performance systems, athlete development, sports science collaboration, and leadership education between Kenya and Japan.
Youthful Kinoti Kiara crowned African fencing champion
Kiara beat Egypt’s Hamza H. Abuhalwa, Mohamed El Bounjaimi of Morocco and Togo’s Ilan Tchaa Arou to the continental title.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS