Gunmen kill 20 people near Burundi-DRC border
Africa
By
VOA
| Dec 24, 2023
Gunmen killed at least 20 people and wounded nine others near Burundi's western border with the Democratic Republic of Congo, the government told reporters Saturday, in an attack claimed by the Reb Tabara rebel group.
Those killed in the Friday night raid on a village called Vugizo included 12 children, two pregnant women and a police officer, government spokesperson Jerome Niyonzima said.
Red Tabara, which has been battling Burundi's government from bases in eastern Congo since 2015, claimed on the social media platform X to have killed nine soldiers and one police officer.
Local residents said they heard sounds of gunfire and explosions during the attack.
READ MORE
DR Congo, M23 fighters trade accusations over ceasefire
Angola proposes new DR Congo ceasefire
South Africa to withdraw troops from UN mission in DR Congo
Kipyegon among super-fast stars invited for Sirikwa Classic XC tour
Deadly landslide strikes M23 held mining site in DRC
DR Congo city residents forced to adapt during year of M23 rule
South Korean ex-PM Han gets 23 years jail for martial law role
Uhuru warns against fragmented peace talks for eastern DRC
In east DR Congo, minors face systematic risk of sexual violence
Red Tabara previously said it had attacked and destroyed equipment at the country's international airport in Bujumbura in September, although no casualties were reported.