At least 25 killed in Burkina Faso attack in Sahel region

Africa
By Xinhua | Feb 07, 2023
The terrorist attack occurred on Saturday, February 4, 2023. [File, Standard]

At least 25 people were killed on Saturday in a terrorist attack in northern Burkina Faso's Sahel Region, said a regional government official Monday evening.

In a statement, Lieutenant Colonel Rodolphe Sorgho, who is the governor of the Sahel Region, said that armed terrorist groups perpetrated a violent attack Saturday afternoon in the commune of Bani of the province of Seno, killing 25 people, including 22 civilians and three police officers.

Since 2015, insecurity in the West African country has claimed many lives and displaced thousands more.

Last week, at least 28 people, including soldiers and civilians, were killed in two separate gunmen attacks in Burkina Faso, a regional governor and the army revealed.

Share this story
Experienced Okello, Chajira named in Kenya Lionesses squad for Rugby Africa Cup
Kenya Lionesses have named an experienced squad featuring Janet Okello and Sheila Chajira for the Rugby Africa Cup as they aim to improve on their previous runner-up finish.
McCarthy set for emotional South Africa reunion after AFCON Draw
Harambee Stars coach Benni McCarthy is preparing for an emotional clash against his home country after Kenya was drawn with South Africa in the 2027 Afcon qualifiers.
Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Junior Starlets have set their sights on a crucial away win over Uganda’s Teen Cranes as they aim to secure their return to the global stage.
Under-20 talents to face off in battle for tickets to world event in Eugene
The World Under-20 Championships is set for August 5-9 in Eugene.
Over 2,500 players to battle it out in Duracoat Golf Masters Series
The Duracoat Golf Masters series 2026 will be played at 12 venues before the grand finale that will be staged at Mount Kipipiri at the end of the year. 
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS