Former Ivory Coast PM Soro goes on trial on coup-plotting charges
Africa
By
Reuters
| May 21, 2021
Guillaume Soro, a former prime minister and rebel leader in Ivory Coast, went on trial in absentia on Wednesday on charges he plotted a coup against President Alassane Ouattara.
The trial got off to a fiery start with Soro's defence insisting on more time to examine alleged evidence against Soro and the 19 others accused in the case.
As a result, the second day of the trial was postponed to May 26, said Diallo Souleymane, who is on his legal team.
His lawyers have condemned the case as politically motivated and say there is no evidence Soro was guilty of conspiracy.
"Ivorian justice has become an accomplice to the settling of political scores," they said in a statement before the trial.
READ MORE
DR Congo, M23 fighters trade accusations over ceasefire
Angola proposes new DR Congo ceasefire
South Africa to withdraw troops from UN mission in DR Congo
Kipyegon among super-fast stars invited for Sirikwa Classic XC tour
Deadly landslide strikes M23 held mining site in DRC
DR Congo city residents forced to adapt during year of M23 rule
South Korean ex-PM Han gets 23 years jail for martial law role
Uhuru warns against fragmented peace talks for eastern DRC
In east DR Congo, minors face systematic risk of sexual violence
The case has raised tensions in a country recovering from two civil wars since the turn of the century.
Soro, who is in exile in Europe, has already been convicted of embezzlement and was sentenced last year to 20 years in prison.
He led the rebels that swept Ouattara to power during the civil war that followed his disputed election victory in 2010 and went on to serve as prime minister and speaker of parliament under Ouattara.
But the two men later fell out as the president made clear he would oppose Soro's own presidential ambitions.
Prosecutors issued an arrest warrant for Soro in December 2019, just before he planned to return home from Europe to launch his candidacy for the 2020 presidential election.