Ivory Coast premier and would-be president Gon Coulibaly dies at 61

Africa
By Reuters | Jul 09, 2020

Amadou Gon Coulibaly (pictured), Ivory Coast’s prime minister and the ruling party’s candidate for an October presidential election, died on Wednesday, President Alassane Ouattara said.

The death of Gon Coulibaly, 61, who had had heart surgery in 2012 and had just returned from cardiac examinations in France, is likely to set off a scramble within the ruling RHDP party to replace him as its presidential candidate.

There is no clear-cut replacement for him in an election widely considered a test of stability for the world’s top cocoa producer.

Defence Minister Hamed Bakayoko had served as interim prime minister while Gon Coulibaly was in France for two months for tests and rest.

“Fellow compatriots, Ivory Coast is mourning. It is with deep pain that I announce to you that Prime Minister Amadou Gon Coulibaly has left us,” Ouattara said in a statement read on national television by the presidency’s secretary general.

Gon Coulibaly had returned from France just six days earlier. He became unwell on Wednesday after taking part in the weekly cabinet meeting and was taken to hospital, where he passed away, Ouattara said.

Ouattara had designated Gon Coulibaly as the RHDP candidate in March after announcing that he himself would not seek a third term.

“It’s really a shame. He was well on his way to leading Ivory Coast as president,” said Bertin Malan, a resident in Abidjan’s Yopougon neighborhood.

Derided by critics as uncharismatic, Gon Coulibaly rode Ouattara’s coattails to the heights of Ivorian politics.

In a tweet, Ouattara paid tribute to “my younger brother, my son, Amadou Gon Coulibaly, who was, for 30 years, my closest partner”.

Gon Coulibaly served as secretary-general of the presidency from 2012-17 before being appointed prime minister.

He had also served as agriculture minister under Ouattara’s predecessor, Laurent Gbagbo.

The other main candidate in the October election is octogenarian ex-president Henri Konan Bedie, who declared he would run last month.

Guillaume Soro, a former prime minister and ex-rebel leader, was also considered a contender but in April was sentenced in absentia to 20 years in prison for embezzlement.

Ouattara’s first election win, when he defeated Gbagbo in 2010, sparked a brief civil war in which about 3,000 people died. Political tensions have been rising ahead of October’s poll.

Share this story
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
World Boxing and IBA fete Kenyan referees as Mwaura promoted
Two Star 3 Kenyan referees and judges have been feted by World Boxing (WB) as Edward Kibunja Mwaura of Kenya Prisons was promoted by International Boxing Association. 
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS