South Africa risks tax revolt, bailouts over govt graft

Africa
By Reuters | Aug 26, 2019
The Cape Town headquarters of the South African Revenue Service (SARS) is seen in this picture taken March 1, 2016. [Reuters]

South Africans could start withholding their tax payments due to years of corruption which might force the country to seek an international bailout, the chief of the revenue service said on Monday.

Africa’s most industrialised economy has seen revenue collection fall sharply since 2015 due to weak economic growth and maladministration, leading President Cyril Ramaphosa to fire the revenue service boss last November in the wake of a judicial inquiry that has triggered an executive clean out.

New Revenue Service (SARS) commissioner Edward Kieswetter, hired in March, told a tax conference in Johannesburg that falling trust in the collector by individuals and companies had led to rising levels of tax avoidance and fraud, bleeding billions from government.

“When public trust wanes, as is the current case, then tax payers feel morally justified to withhold or manipulate their taxes,” Kieswetter said.

“When revenue collection is undermined it traps us in vicious cycle of revenue decline, as we’ve experienced, and consequently the need to go with begging bowls to borrow money, which effectively mortgages our future.”

Earlier in August the International Monetary Fund (IMF) said the country’s debt levels had reached “uncomfortable” levels, but that the country had not yet reached the point of requiring a bailout.

But with economic growth flagging, contracting 3.2% in the first quarter, South Africa collected 1.287 trillion rand ($91 billion) in tax in the 2018/19 fiscal year, 15 billion rand short of the government’s target, and is likely to miss its 2019/20 target of 1.4 trillion rand.

An extra 59 billion rand of financial support for state power firm Eskom, on top of a 230 billion rand bailout spread over the next decade, is set to push the 2019/20 budget deficit beyond the 4.5% of gross domestic product forecast by treasury.

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS