Arsenal fans in Naivasha kill man for mocking them after loss to Wolves

Football
By Antony Gitonga | Nov 30, 2020
A street in Naivasha town, Nakuru County. [Photo, Antony Gitonga]

A fight between a group of friends over a football match ended on a tragic note after one man died in a Naivasha estate.

The middle-aged man was hit on the head with a stone when he started mocking supporters of the English Premier League team Arsenal that had lost 1-2 to Wolverhampton Wanderers FC.

The group was watching the live match that was being aired on television when the incident occurred on Sunday night.

The incident took place at Kinamba center along the Naivasha- Kirima road.

The deceased was left bleeding from his head outside a petrol station located a few meters from the bar that the friends were drinking.

Following the Sunday night incident, police launched a manhunt for the attackers as friends and relatives tried to come to terms with the incident.

A witness identified only as Peter said that the friends were drinking together when an argument arose over a goal that one of the teams had scored.

Soccer Football - Premier League - Arsenal v Wolverhampton Wanderers - Emirates Stadium, London, Britain - November 29, 2020, Arsenal's Joe Willock in action with Wolverhampton Wanderers' Leander Dendoncker. [Reuters, Julian Finney]

“This degenerated into name-calling and the deceased was chased out of the bar and later attacked and left unconscious,” he said.

It was only on Monday morning that the lifeless body was found on the streets before police moved in to collect it.

Meanwhile, a mentally unstable man committed suicide in Nduro village in North Lake Naivasha a week after arriving from his working place in Meru.

The 31-year-old used a rope to commit suicide hours after asking his family members to repent their sins so that they could be accepted in heaven.

An elder Simon Koech said that the deceased had been suffering from mental illness and had sought medical assistance.

“He kept on telling his family members to repent as the end of the world was getting closer before he decided to take his life,” he said.

Naivasha OCPD Samuel Waweru confirmed both cases adding that the bodies had been collected and inquest files opened.

 

Share this story
Sh11 B more to beat AFCON 2027 deadline
Kenya requires an additional Sh11.02 billion from the Exchequer to  complete key stadiums earmarked for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON),
Universities raise the bar in KUSF games
The just concluded Kenya Universities Sports Federation (KUSF) Nairobi North Conference League has once again revealed the growing competitiveness of university sports in Kenya.
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
McCarthy faces emotional South Africa reunion
Kenya's Harambee Stars placed in Group D for PAMOJA 2027 AFCON qualifiers alongside South Africa (Bafana Bafana), Guinea and Eritrea
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS