Shell Autocross sparks a new era for Kenyan motorsport
Sports
By
Washington Onyango
| Oct 26, 2025
Kenya's grassroots motorsport is back on track thanks to the 2025 Shell Autocross and Autocross Plus Championship, now run by the 254 Motorsports Club.
After years of declining entries and fading fan interest, the championship has returned stronger, louder, and more exciting than before.
The sport had struggled between 2023 and 2024, with events pulling barely 20 cars. But this year, the story has changed. Participation has almost doubled, with some competitions attracting up to 47 drivers. Fans are also returning in big numbers to cheer on the action.
READ MORE
Equity Q1 net profit up 24pc to Sh18.3b on regional units
KCB Q1 net earnings hit Sh17.8b to join rivals in defying tough times
Centum Re begins handover of 400 apartments at Nairobi's Two Rivers
Epra makes marginal hike on pipeline tariff, piles pressure on consumers
ICPAK urges accountants to restore trust in public institutions
Alarm raised over lagging decarbonisation in construction industry
Retail investors can now own a piece of mega infrastructure projects through NSE
Why AI is gaining prominence in Africa's new investment agenda
New push to formalise garbage collection SMEs
The power of patience, psychology and strategy in debt recovery
According to 254 Motorsports Club chairman Sushil Gohil, the revival did not happen by chance.
"We started by listening," he said.
"Drivers were bored with the same venues and tired of high costs. We had to give them variety and value for money."
That new plan included fresh venues such as Kikuyu's new "Twisty 2" track, alongside Kasarani and Stoni Athi. The season will conclude at Suguroi Motor and Leisure City in November. The events now include longer Autocross Plus stages stretching up to 30 kilometres, giving drivers a taste of real rallying.
"The goal was seat time," Gohil explained.
"Each event now covers up to 150 kilometres but the entry fee remains just Sh8,000. We even granted free entries for drivers under 18 in two rounds."
Corporate support has also played a major role in the comeback. Vivo Energy Kenya, through Shell V-Power, stepped in as the main sponsor, bringing visibility and confidence back to the sport.
"We saw a professional, inclusive vision focused on true grassroots development," said Vivo Energy's Commercial Director, Mark Senteu.
"This partnership is about passion and performance."
The renewed energy has attracted other top brands like Coca-Cola, Pepsi, Red Bull, and CFAO Mobility, who are all considering extending their involvement into 2026.
Most exciting of all is the rise of young talent.
So far, 22 drivers under 18 have competed this season, including 14 first-timers and three female racers.
Motorsport families are also handing over the wheel to the next generation, with children of rally greats like Charles Hinga and Jaspreet "Jassi" Chatthe taking part. The likes of Neel Gohil, Amaan Ganatra, Cheche Ababu, Eann Bengi, Karamveer Ruprai and Allan Bengi all under 18, have become familiar faces in the sport.