Kindiki, Murkomen, Kihika slam Gachagua's violence remarks

Politics
By Mike Kihaki | May 18, 2025

Deputy President Kithure Kindiki and Nakuru Governor Susan Kihika at Arimi Primary school during a requiem mass for 12 accident victims on May 15, 2025 [Kipsang Joseph, Standard]

Deputy President Kithure Kindiki has urged Kenyans to reject voices predicting violence in the 2027 General Election.

Speaking in Teso North, Busia County, Kindiki assured the public that the government will not allow any kind of violence in the period leading up to and after the 2027 general election.

"Let no one scare you. Those prophesying doom are unpatriotic and politically immature. We must never again go back to those dark days," he said.

"Not in 2027, not at any other time in the future. Our country learnt hard and painful lessons from the 2007/2008 events. Never again."

His remarks were a direct attack on former Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua, who earlier in the week, on Obinna TV, warned that if the upcoming polls were rigged, the aftermath would be worse than the 2007/08 post-election violence that left over a thousand people dead and thousands displaced.

"With the mood in the country, if the IEBC messes with the elections, there will be no country here. I want to tell you that 2007 will look like a Christmas party," Gachagua had stated.

"I want to tell those commissioners to be Kenyans and to be patriotic, and not to attempt to force William Ruto on the people of Kenya. It will not work. The people of Kenya will not accept it. People want change, and they are ready for change."

The Deputy President said the government was focused on delivering on its promises - not political drama.

"We cannot be in a perpetual campaign mood. This is the season to work. We are outperforming even Ethiopia and Angola. Let's stay focused," he said, citing progress in stabilising the economy and a stronger shilling.

Cabinet Secretary for Roads and Transport, Kipchumba Murkomen, speaking at a funeral in Matisi, Kitale, described Gachagua's remarks as "dangerous and deeply irresponsible."

"People lost their loved ones. Some never recovered. Nobody should threaten to drag this country into bloodshed because of personal political frustrations. You don't burn a nation to get into office," Murkomen said.

Murkomen added that the country would not revisit that dark history.

"We learnt the hard way. That wound runs deep. We won't let it open again."

Nakuru Governor Susan Kihika - from one of the counties hardest hit in 2007 - did not mince her words.

"This is extremely reckless. Coming from a region that bore the brunt of the chaos, I find it unacceptable. Gachagua must stop imagining his political battles are national emergencies," she said.

"There comes a time when a country is bigger than an individual. Gachagua, that time is now. We will not bleed again - not for any politician."

Kabuchai MP Majimbo Kalasinga added his voice, warning against incitement: "No Kenyan will rise against another over tribal nonsense. We've grown wiser. We will not fight for power brokers."

Share this story
Veteran goalkeeper Neuer recalled to aid Germany World Cup bid
Veteran goalkeeper Manuel Neuer was handed a surprise recall to Germany's 26-man World Cup squad, coming out of international retirement to play in the tournament for a fifth time.
Emery urges Villa to use Europa triumph to fuel bold new era
Unai Emery urged Aston Villa to use their historic Europa League final triumph against Freiburg as the foundation for an "ambitious" new era.
DR Congo cancel World Cup training in Kinshasa amid Ebola outbreak
The Democratic Republic of Congo team have cancelled a planned pre-World Cup training camp at home after the country was hit by an Ebola outbreak
For Arsenal, the time is right and the Lord has made it happen
When Patrick Paul Vieira lifted Arsenal’s English Premier League trophy in 2004, petrol in Kenya was retailing at Sh64.99, Diesel was Sh51.60, while kerosene went for Sh38.19.
Julius Yego's exit beckons after his last African show in Ghana
The 37-year-old javelin star is set for his last World Championships and Olympics next year and 2028 respectively.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS