I am best fit to succeed Ruto, says Wetangula

Politics
By Osinde Obare | May 06, 2025
National Assembly Speaker Moses Wetangula addressing the gathering during his visit to the late IEBC Chairman Wafula Chebukati's residence in Kitale. [Courtesy, Standard]

National Assembly speaker Moses Wetangula has claimed he is the best suited leader from Western Kenya to succeed President William Ruto.

Wetangula, who is also Ford Kenya leader, said serving as third in command in the Kenya kwanza administration puts him in a better chance to inherit President Ruto.

He believes Ruto will win a second term and later set the stage for him to ascend to the country's top office.

Speaking in Kikwameti village Trans Nzoia when he condoled the family of former Sikhendu MCA Eric Musumba who was buried last week, Wetangula claimed that he had been endorsed by political heavyweights from the Luhya community to chase for the top seat.

"I am the senior most leader from Western region, and the position I hold in the government as the third in command puts me in a better chance to succeed President Ruto," said Wetangula.

Some of the strategies to advance his presidential ambitions include ensuring that all students in the region who have attended the age 18 acquire national identity.

"I have talked to principals in the region to ensure students eligible for national IDs are facilitated to acquire them," he said.

He is also optimistic of pushing through the quest t unite the Luhya community.

Wetangula told off those dismissing his quest for presidency, terming them enemy of the Luhya nation.

"I am not interested in the governor's seat. It is a small position. My level now is senior, and I am eyeing the presidency. So stop fighting me," he said.

Wetangula rooted for unity of the Western region, arguing it was a solution to both economic and political problems facing the region.

He lashed out at leaders opposed to President William Ruto's decision to remove some of the requirements on Kenyans seeking to acquire the national identification cards.

"Why should a Kenyan be denied the right to acquire ID. It is dishonest for leaders to oppose the move by the president to remove some restrictions that have been frustrating Kenyan youths from securing the document," he added.

Wetangula also denied accusations labelled against him by former party officials of using and dumping them.

During Musumba's burial last week, Wetangula came under heavy ciriticism by former FK MCAs, Benard Muganda (Motosiet), Daniel Kaburu (Sinyenyere) and Saboti parliamentary aspirant Joseph Pepela of managing the party as personal property.

Share this story
Veteran goalkeeper Neuer recalled to aid Germany World Cup bid
Veteran goalkeeper Manuel Neuer was handed a surprise recall to Germany's 26-man World Cup squad, coming out of international retirement to play in the tournament for a fifth time.
Emery urges Villa to use Europa triumph to fuel bold new era
Unai Emery urged Aston Villa to use their historic Europa League final triumph against Freiburg as the foundation for an "ambitious" new era.
DR Congo cancel World Cup training in Kinshasa amid Ebola outbreak
The Democratic Republic of Congo team have cancelled a planned pre-World Cup training camp at home after the country was hit by an Ebola outbreak
For Arsenal, the time is right and the Lord has made it happen
When Patrick Paul Vieira lifted Arsenal’s English Premier League trophy in 2004, petrol in Kenya was retailing at Sh64.99, Diesel was Sh51.60, while kerosene went for Sh38.19.
Julius Yego's exit beckons after his last African show in Ghana
The 37-year-old javelin star is set for his last World Championships and Olympics next year and 2028 respectively.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS