Government disburses Sh3.5b for Inua Jamii April cycle

National
By Mike Kihaki | May 21, 2025
Social Protection Principal Secretary Joseph Motari addressing press on Inua Jamii stipend on February 14, 2024 [Collins Oduor, Standard]

The government has released Sh3.52 billion to beneficiaries of the Inua Jamii Cash Transfer Programme for the April 2025 payment cycle.

The disbursement, announced by the Ministry of Labour and Social Protection through the State Department for Social Protection and Senior Citizen Affairs, will benefit at least 1,760,510 individuals.

These include older persons aged 70 and above, orphans and vulnerable children, and persons living with severe disabilities.

Each beneficiary will receive Sh2,000 for the April cycle, with payments accessible via mobile money.

This marks the second cycle since the government fully transitioned Inua Jamii payments from traditional banking systems to the e-Citizen M-Pesa platform in January 2025, a move designed to enhance efficiency and accessibility.

"Inua Jamii remains a cornerstone of the government's social protection strategy. It aims to alleviate poverty and promote the well-being of society's most vulnerable members," said Social Protection Principal Secretary Joseph Motari.

The last disbursement under the programme was made in January 2025, when the transition to mobile payments was launched. Since then, the government has been urging beneficiaries to register their mobile phone numbers to ensure smooth access to the funds.

In March, the ministry advised those without registered phone numbers to visit any Safaricom or M-Pesa agent across the country to facilitate registration.

Motari assured that funds for those who had not yet transitioned would remain secure for at least three months.

"It has been two months since we moved the cash transfer payments to M-Pesa. Senior citizens should not panic; their money is secure. They just need to register, and they will receive all their funds," he said.

The government plans to expand the programme's reach to 2.5 million beneficiaries by 2027.

Share this story
It's fresh faces and familiar rivals as Stars prepare for 2027 Afcon
Coach McCarthy has named five new faces in Harambee Stars squad.Kenya to face South Africa, Guinea and Eritrea in 2027 Afcon qualifiers.,
SportPesa Premier League: APS Bomet edge Bandari to ease relegation fears
The win eased off relegation fears APS Bomet have been battling for the better part of their debut season in the Premier League.
Experienced Okello, Chajira named in Kenya Lionesses squad for Rugby Africa Cup
Kenya Lionesses have named an experienced squad featuring Janet Okello and Sheila Chajira for the Rugby Africa Cup as they aim to improve on their previous runner-up finish.
McCarthy set for emotional South Africa reunion after AFCON Draw
Harambee Stars coach Benni McCarthy is preparing for an emotional clash against his home country after Kenya was drawn with South Africa in the 2027 Afcon qualifiers.
Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Junior Starlets have set their sights on a crucial away win over Uganda’s Teen Cranes as they aim to secure their return to the global stage.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS