Police block Gen Z's national prayer vigil in city

National
By James Wanzala | Jan 25, 2025

Members of Kikao ,a Genz youth Movement address media outside August 7th Memorial Park on January 25, 2025, after the prayer vigil was stopped by the police. [Benard Orwongo, Standard]

Police on Saturday blocked a planned prayer vigil that was to take place at August 7th Memorial Park in Nairobi.

The event, which was to start at noon along Moi Avenue was also to happen in Mombasa.

The prayer vigil had been organised by Kikao under the June 25th Youth Movement and aimed at standing in solidarity with parents of youths who lost their children or whose children were abducted during anti-government protests.

Since December last year, four young Kenyans Bernard Mbisi Kavingo, Justus Mutumwa, Martin Mwau, and Karani Muema are still missing.

Thursday, a Nairobi court instructed Inspector General of Police Douglas Kanja and DCI boss Mohamed Amin to provide answers on the missing four within seven days.

In Mombasa, the prayer vigil was disrupted by police.

Walid Sketty, an organiser of the Mombasa prayer vigil said: "We had notified the custodian of the Uhuru Gardens, which is the County Government of Mombasa, who copied the letter to the Mombasa County Commander," added Walid.

He added: "The County permitted us to use the venue but police treated it as unlawful. We had just finished singing the National Anthem when police came and arrested some of us forcing the end to stop."

In Nairobi, at around 10am, the entrances to the park was closed and cordoned off as General Service Unit(GSU) officers patrolled around the place.

"We came here in the morning and found several police officers around who had cordoned off the place. They told us that we cannot hold the event," said Lavani Mila, chairman of Kikao.

He added: "We inquired and were told that the notice was too short and after calling the Central Police Station's Officer Commanding Police Division (OCPD), he said there is a cycling event today and there will be no enough police available to provide security."

Mila said another police officer from Central Police Station, forcefully evicted them from the venue and told them that they had investigated and found that the vigil prayers they were planning to hold is not what they were planning to do.

Mila was accompanied by families of the victims including the late Gen Z protester Rex Masai's mother Gillian Munyao.

The family members demanded justice, faulting the government for being silent on the deaths seven months later, a situation which they said has caused them a lot of mental anguish.

"We were told by President William Ruto to take names of the dead children which we did in August. But till today nothing has happened, we just want justice," said Eric Mutisya's mother, who said he was hit by a bullet while dancing near Parliament on June 25 last year.

Share this story
Veteran goalkeeper Neuer recalled to aid Germany World Cup bid
Veteran goalkeeper Manuel Neuer was handed a surprise recall to Germany's 26-man World Cup squad, coming out of international retirement to play in the tournament for a fifth time.
Emery urges Villa to use Europa triumph to fuel bold new era
Unai Emery urged Aston Villa to use their historic Europa League final triumph against Freiburg as the foundation for an "ambitious" new era.
DR Congo cancel World Cup training in Kinshasa amid Ebola outbreak
The Democratic Republic of Congo team have cancelled a planned pre-World Cup training camp at home after the country was hit by an Ebola outbreak
For Arsenal, the time is right and the Lord has made it happen
When Patrick Paul Vieira lifted Arsenal’s English Premier League trophy in 2004, petrol in Kenya was retailing at Sh64.99, Diesel was Sh51.60, while kerosene went for Sh38.19.
Julius Yego's exit beckons after his last African show in Ghana
The 37-year-old javelin star is set for his last World Championships and Olympics next year and 2028 respectively.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS