Fernandes rejects Saudi move to stay at Man Utd

Football
By AFP | Jun 03, 2025

Bruno Fernandes has reportedly rejected a huge offer to leave Manchester United for the Saudi Pro League, opting to be part of Ruben Amorim's rebuild at Old Trafford.

Reports said Al Hilal were willing to pay United up to PS100 million ($135 million) for the 30-year-old Portugal international but had not made an official approach.

United endured their worst finish of the Premier League era, finishing 15th. They also lost the Europa League final to Tottenham.

United captain Fernandes was one of the few players to emerge with credit from a disastrous season, scoring 19 goals and making 19 assists across all competitions.

The midfielder addressed his future after United's defeat to Spurs in Bilbao last month.

"If the club thinks it's time to part ways because they want to do some cashing in or whatever, it is what it is and football sometimes is like this," he said.

But as speculation swirled over his future, manager Amorim last week expressed his belief that his compatriot would remain at Old Trafford.

Former United captain Gary Neville, now a Sky Sports pundit, said the development was "significant".

"I think that there was an element of this situation that meant United getting that level of money, for someone of Bruno's age, obviously, you couldn't say that it would have been a bad deal," he said.

"But, on the other hand, Manchester United's star player -- only player at times -- for the last four, five, six years, has been Bruno Fernandes. He's so important."

Neville added: "To turn that money down at a point where Manchester United are at their lowest ebb and say, 'No, I want to fight through this, I want to see it through the other side, I want to come out and achieve things,' I think it says a lot about him as a person, as a character.

"The club needs people who are going to run through a brick wall for them."

United are expected to be busy in the transfer market as Amorim reshapes his under-performing squad.

The club has already signed Brazil forward Matheus Cunha from Wolves and is being heavily linked with Brentford forward Bryan Mbeumo.

Departures could include Jadon Sancho, Marcus Rashford, Antony, and Alejandro Garnacho.

Fernandes has made 290 appearances and scored 98 goals for United since his PS47 million move from Sporting Lisbon in January 2020.

Share this story
It's fresh faces and familiar rivals as Stars prepare for 2027 Afcon
Coach McCarthy has named five new faces in Harambee Stars squad.Kenya to face South Africa, Guinea and Eritrea in 2027 Afcon qualifiers.,
SportPesa Premier League: APS Bomet edge Bandari to ease relegation fears
The win eased off relegation fears APS Bomet have been battling for the better part of their debut season in the Premier League.
Experienced Okello, Chajira named in Kenya Lionesses squad for Rugby Africa Cup
Kenya Lionesses have named an experienced squad featuring Janet Okello and Sheila Chajira for the Rugby Africa Cup as they aim to improve on their previous runner-up finish.
McCarthy set for emotional South Africa reunion after AFCON Draw
Harambee Stars coach Benni McCarthy is preparing for an emotional clash against his home country after Kenya was drawn with South Africa in the 2027 Afcon qualifiers.
Junior Starlets gear up for World Cup qualifier encounter against Uganda
Junior Starlets have set their sights on a crucial away win over Uganda’s Teen Cranes as they aim to secure their return to the global stage.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS