M23 fighters expel civilians to Rwanda

Africa
By AFP | May 17, 2025
Burundian police officers assist Congolese refugees, displaced by ongoing clashes in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo to disembark from a truck upon arrival at the Gihanga refugee transit camp in Gihanga on February 17, 2025. [AFP]

Armed fighters from the M23 group, which has taken control of eastern DR Congo's key major town of Goma, on Saturday set about expelling thousands of people they say are illegals from Rwanda, AFP witnessed.

On Monday, the group's military spokesman, Willy Ngoma, had presented to the media 181 men whom they referred to as "Rwandan subjects" illegally in the country at Goma's main sports stadium.

All of the men shown had ID papers from the DRC, which the M23 asserted were bogus. An AFP reporter said the armed group had summarily burned the documents on the stadium pitch.

Several hundred women and children, relatives of those detained, joined them at the stadium aboard trucks chartered by the M23.

One of the men arrested, who gave his name only as Eric, had told AFP on Monday that he was from the town of Karenga, located in North Kivu, which is considered a stronghold of the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR).

The FDLR is an armed group founded by former Rwandan Hutu leaders of the 1994 Tutsi genocide.

Early Saturday, 360 people were loaded onto buses from Goma, Eujin Byun, a spokesperson for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), told AFP.

The UNHCR stressed that "returns of refugees to their countries of origin must be safe, voluntary, and carried out with dignity, per international law".

An AFP correspondent reported that the convoy crossed the border to Rubavu, in western Rwanda.

"We will do everything to reintegrate them into society, so that they have the same responsibilities and the same rights as other Rwandans," Prosper Mulindwa, mayor of Rubavu district, told reporters.

The M23 and Kigali accuse Kinshasa of supporting the FDLR and have justified their offensive in eastern DRC by a need to neutralise that group.

The majority of the families expelled by the M23 are from Karenga, and had been prevented from returning there after the M23 took over Goma, according to security and humanitarian sources.

The families were living in a reception centre for displaced persons in Sake, some 20 kilometres (13 miles) from Goma, the sources said.

In March, 20 suspected FDLR fighters, dressed in Congolese Armed Forces uniforms, were handed over to Rwandan authorities by the M23.

Kinshasa denounced the incident as a "crude fabrication" intended to discredit its army.

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS