M23 rebels pull out of DRC peace talks after EU sanctions
Africa
By
Sharon Wanga
| Mar 17, 2025
The Alliance Fleuve Congo (AFC/M23) pulled out of peace talks with the Democratic Republic of Congo's government barely hours before the talks in Luanda, Angola.
In a statement, the group stated they would skip the talks following the sanction of some of their members by the European Union.
"We deeply regret that certain international institutions are deliberately undermining peace efforts in the Democratic Republic of Congo and obstructing the much-anticipated talks. Successive sanctions imposed on our members, including those enacted on the eve of the Luanda discussions, severely undermine direct dialogue and make any progress impossible," stated Lawrence Kanyuka.
The rebel group claims the talks will only aim at encouraging president Felix Tsisekedi to carry on his "warmongering program".
"Under these circumstances, the talks have become impracticable. Consequently, our organisation can no longer continue to participate in the discussions," stated M23.
READ MORE
US sanctions DR Congo ex-leader Kabila over rebel ties
UN helps return hundreds of DR Congo refugees from Burundi
DR Congo, M23 armed group agree to ease aid, free prisoners
Government plans stricter laws to clean up tea sector
Violence against journalists in DR Congo rising, says RSF
Tea farmers against some clauses in the tea amendment bill
Ruto strips agriculture body of coffee role in sector shake-up
French aid worker killed in DR Congo air strike
Rwanda hits back at US sanctions over M23 support in DR Congo
US slaps sanctions on Rwanda military over DR Congo 'violation'
However, president Tsishekedi through his spokesperson said his delegation will travel to Luanda for Tuesday talks.
This is hours after the European Union sanctioned three Rwandan military commanders and its mining agency chief over their support for armed fighters in the eastern DRC as well as senior members of the M23, including its head, Bertrand Bisimwa.
The peace talks were scheduled to start on Tuesday in Luanda, as Angolan President Joao Lourenco had been appointed by the African Union to mediate in the conflict.
Meanwhile, M23 fighters have captured eastern Congo's two largest cities, with thousands of people killed and hundreds of thousands forced from their homes.