Cracks in united opposition over naming of flag bearer

Politics
By Boniface Gikandi | Jan 04, 2026

Former Deputy President Rigathi Gachagua has rejected Wiper leader Kalonzo Musyoka's proposal to name United opposition's flag bearer in April this year, saying it will be months before the General Election. 

Gachagua said that the opposition will name its flag bearer months before the election to avoid a scheme by the government to divide them. This is in contrast to an earlier statement by Kalanzo.

The impeached deputy president asserted that the opposition remains united and intact.

In contrast, Kalonzo had suggested that the unveiling of the candidate should take place in the first quarter of 2026, allowing sufficient time for them to gain popularity.

"We must be cautious to declare our presidential candidate much later to avoid him being hunted and terrorised by the state operatives," said Gachagua.

He said the delay would be a good strategy to enable the opposition to keep the government guessing and act as a surprise card to defeat President William Ruto in 2027.

He spoke during the burial of Alice Wangari Gakuya, mother to Embakasi North MP James Gakuya, in Makomboki village in Kigumo, Murang’a, on Saturday.

"It is only fair that we unveil the candidate in the first quarter. There is that agreement to do so as the move will allow us to popularise the candidate to Kenyans," Kalonzo had earlier said.

Gachugua told ODM Secretary General Edwin Sifuna that President William Ruto was the reason behind getting in the party, eyeing a smooth win in the 2027 General Election.

“Sifuna, let me inform you that Homabay Governor Gladys Wanga and Suna East MP Junet Mohamed have auctioned the party to President Ruto,” said Gachagua.

Sifuna, a Nairobi senator, said the late Raila Odinga had hinted to him that the party in 2027 would not back Ruto for the presidency.

The late Raila Odinga, Sifuna said, had hinted to him that he would not support Ruto’s candidature in 2027, as some leaders are betraying the trust bestowed on them.

“Suna East MP Junet is hurling insults at Uhuru Kenyatta after he misappropriated resources allocated to him to pay the voting agents in 2022,” said Sifuna.

Murang’a Governor Irungu Kang’ata said come 2027 he will follow the verdict of the majority of the voters.

“Many need to know which political direction I will follow, but I will wait for direction from your end when the due time comes,” said Kang’ata as he pleaded with leaders that SHA remit to Murang’a County Government Sh250 million for procurement of drugs and other essentials.

Meanwhile, Lamu Women Rep Monica Marubu faced the wrath of a section of mourners in Muranga after she declared her support for the re-election of President William Ruto in 2027.

Police had to intervene to calm the situation after some of the irate supporters of those calling for removal of the president in 2027 charged towards Marumu.

She braved chants of 'one term' from the crowd to declare that, unlike the Mt Kenya region, which is developed, Lamu County roots for the re-election of Ruto to develop.  

Marube said Mt Kenya West was endowed with more resources, among them good roads and electricity, than other Kikuyu communities in the diaspora before the community ridiculed her.

As the mourners jeered her, the police moved into the hall and led her to her vehicle for safety as the crowd followed, chanting one term. 

“Mimi niwa Tutam,” she said, as the majority of the mourners rose from their seats shouting “Wantam” in response before the leaders, led by Senator Joe Nyutu, Kigumo MP Joseph Munyoro, and Murang’a Governor Irungu Kang'ata, calmed the situation. 

Among the leaders present were Senators John Methu (Nyandarua), John Kinyua (Laikipia), and Kamau Mirango (Kirinyaga).

Share this story
Ronaldo, 41, leads Portugal into his sixth World Cup
Veteran Portugal striker Cristiano Ronaldo will lead his country into the 2026 World Cup this summer after coach Roberto Martinez named the 41-year-old in his squad on Tuesday.
Kenya's Afcon dream is under threat as FKF officials fight
FKF president Hussein Mohamed insists the National Executive Committee meeting of April 24, which voted to suspend him, was irregular, unconstitutional, and in his own words, a coup.
Kenyans now shift focus to Commonwealth Games after shining at Africa meet in Accra
After an overall second place in the continent at the 24th African Senior Athletics Championships, Kenyan stars have firmly set their sights on the Commonwealth Games in July.
New motorsports body up and running with autocross action at Stoni Athi
There was jubilation as fans welcomed the recognition of Motorsports Kenya Federation by the government as the official and legitimate motorsport governing body in the country.
Fight for survival now down to one team as Bidco, Sofapaka relegated
The battle to survive relegation in the SportPesa Premier League is set for a tense finish with five clubs still fighting to avoid joining Bidco United and Sofapaka in the National Super League.
.
RECOMMENDED NEWS