What is mascara?
Mascara is a cosmetic used to enhance eyelashes. It darkens, thickens, lengthens and defines the eyelashes. The origin of what we know as mascara began way back (around 4000 BC in Ancient Egypt).
Beauty gurus would mix kohl and ointments to darken and define the lashes; this original version also helped protect the eyes from the sun.
Why do we wear mascara?
There are plenty of reasons why we wear mascara. We mostly wear mascara to darken, add volume and lengthen our natural lashes. When mascara is applied the right way, it will make the eyes look deeper and more beautiful.
Choosing the right mascara
- Former queen on motherhood and rescuing teen mothers
- In love with gel manicure? Avoid these common mistakes
- On a lean budget? The only five makeup items you need
- How to remove unwanted facial hair
It is important to choose a good quality mascara. When purchasing mascara, you should make sure to check the consistency and the mascara wand.
The consistency should be velvety, not too thick and not too thin. For the wand, it is always best to use a silicone brush. Waterproof mascara is a good option for special events only because it can be hard to remove.
There are different types of mascara. You can choose the mascara depending on your preference.
Types of mascara
Here are the steps to perfect mascara application:
– We should always start with curling the lashes with an eyelash curler. If you have super curly lashes, you can uncurl them with the eyelash curler turned upside down.
– Priming the lashes helps the mascara apply better.
- Place the mirror below your chin, and direct your eyes downwards. This way there is less risk of making the eyelids dirty.
- Now take your mascara and remove the excess product from the wand.
– When applying the first coat start from the roots, moving one side to side while pushing upwards.
– After the first coat, use a clean, empty spoolie to separate the lashes so they do not clump up.
– Apply the second coat quickly before the first coat is completely dried out. We apply the second coat the same way we did the first, side to side motion while moving upwards.
– For the lower eyelashes, the application is a little different. When applying on the lower lashes, carefully use the tip of the wand. This will make it easier to apply since the lower lashes are usually shorter.
Do’s and don’ts
When it comes to mascara there are things we should do.
Here is what you should not do:
– Do not sleep with mascara. This leads to irritation around the eyes and lash loss.
– Do not use too much product, this will clump up the eyelashes.
– Do not start applying the mascara on the eyelash tips. Always start from the roots.
I would suggest you let your eyelashes breathe and grow at least once or twice a week. Wearing mascara on a daily basis can cause infections.