25-year-old researcher killed by hippo in Lake Victoria
NYANZA | By James Omoro | July 30th 2021
A 25-year-old woman has been killed by a hippopotamus at the shores of Lake Victoria.
Michelle Indihazi, a researcher, was attacked by the hippo at Utajo beach in Rusinga East, Mbita Sub-county.
Michele who is a resident of Trans Nzoia County, alongside her colleagues, had been researching the prevalence of HIV/AIDS along beaches in Mfangano Island.
And on Wednesday evening, the researchers left Mfangano Island for an excursion in Rusinga Island when the tragedy happened.
Rusinga East Chief Daniel Owuor said that the hippo emerged from a bush and attacked the woman.
“Her colleagues managed to escape,” he said.
The deceased and her colleagues had arrived at the island four days ago.
Mbita Sub-County Police Commander Stanley Atavachi said: “We are yet to get more details about the lady.”
The body was moved to MED 25 Kirindo mortuary.
If child is sick, was father unfaithful?
By Rose Mukonyo
- Commercial sex workers plead with county to step into void left by exit of local NGO
By James Omoro
- Farmer who sold Sh1 million bull to Uhuru quits dairy farming
- High Court declares Minimum Tax unconstitutional
- Builders: Rain may delay President Uhuru's legacy project
- Kikuyu elders to support Raila’s quest for top seat