By Cyrus Ombati

Investigators were Tuesday looking for yet another car believed to be loaded with explosives in Nairobi.

The detectives involved in the operation claimed the white Toyota double-cabin registration number KBB 371A had four occupants with explosives.

“We have issued an alert and a manhunt for them is on-going. Let the registered owner come forward,” said a senior officer involved in the operation.

The development followed Monday’s recovery of more than 20 grenades from a house in a city slum in yet another operation. It is not clear if a suspect was arrested.

The hunt for three cars that are still at large started on Sunday when officers combed buildings in the Central Business District for them amid claims they had been spotted or hidden there.

Vital installations

The officers did not make any arrest or recovery.

Since then, police informers have been alerting them that the suspects, believed to be equipped with police communication gadgets, are moving their arsenal with the aim of striking elsewhere.

Police Tuesday also sent an alert to embassies and those manning vital installations.

Security was heightened at the said buildings, with more officers being stationed there and screening tightened.

The hunt follows the September 21 terror attack at the Westgate Mall that killed more than 60 people including six security officers. Another car believed to have been used by the Westgate terrorists had been detained at the mall.

The registered owner has since been questioned, but information is scanty regarding what he may have told police.