Kipyegon beats Sifan Hassan to win Diamond League in Zurich
ATHLETICS | By Washington Onyango | September 9th 2021
Faith Kipyegon is the 2021 Diamond League 1500m champion.
The Olympic champion defeated perennial rival Sifan Hassan in the final 100m stretch to emerge top with a time of 3:58.33.
The Dutchwoman clocked 3:58:55 to finish second in another heated race that brought fans in the Letzigrund Stadium in Zurich up on their feet.
Hassan beat Kipyegon by more than two seconds to win her 2019 world title.
But in July at the 2021 Monaco Diamond League meet, Kipyegon returned the favour by defeating Hassan by two and a half seconds in a national-record 3:51.07, becoming the fourth-fastest of all time at the distance.
Mudavadi hints at new alliance as he seeks top job
- Kalonzo, Gideon announce parting ways with Mudavadi
- Second serving of special meal earns student 6 days’ suspension
- Finally, ANC ‘Earthquake’ day is here [in pictures]
- Drama at Bomas: Ruto arrives, Gideon, Kalonzo leave
- Fresh details on life of woman killed and stashed in suitcase