Two suspects arrested for vandalizing SGR line
EASTERN | By Betty Njeru | November 27th 2021
Police have this evening arrested two people suspected of vandalizing the Standard Gauge Railway line in Mtito Andei, Makueni County.
The duo; Michael Mbevi, a scrap metal dealer, and Nicodemus Kyove, a lorry driver are accused of destroying the SGR line this week on Monday, causing a two-hour delay.
“Mbevi, the scrap metal dealer alongside the lorry driver, Kyove were arrested and are in custody as an investigation to arrest their accomplices is intensified,” the National Police Service said.
Authorities recovered railway line blocks, twenty-two pieces of Gauge blocks, and one fish plate, that they say were “part of a haul being loaded into a waiting lorry at a scrap metal yard in Mtito Andei.”
The duo will be charged with economic sabotage and terrorism-related offenses.
Any person caught committing unlawful acts or acts of sabotage along railway lines will face the law, police have said.
Mudavadi hints at new alliance as he seeks top job
- Kalonzo, Gideon announce parting ways with Mudavadi
- Second serving of special meal earns student 6 days’ suspension
- Finally, ANC ‘Earthquake’ day is here [in pictures]
- Drama at Bomas: Ruto arrives, Gideon, Kalonzo leave
- Fresh details on life of woman killed and stashed in suitcase