The US has done it again. It has warned its citizens against travelling to Kenya due to security risks posed by terrorism and “high rate of violent crime in some areas”.
As expected Kenyans are not amused and are on the verge of accusing uncle Obama of manufacturing consequences. They should hold their horses. What the US has done is perfectly in order. It cares about its citizens and cares less about our economy. It is our government that has failed, consistently, to do its work.
For if you ask PointBlank, the US is not any safer than Kenya. The security dilemmas that we face here are not peculiar. Terrorism is a global concern and, if anything, the US is the main target.
And just like in Kenya, the US has got its share of miscreants, some who open fire on innocents in malls and schools. In addition, some of the US cities are no better than Nairobi security wise. The sad thing is that our government, in its desperate bid to fill its begging bowl, never warns its citizens about these dangers. No one will caution you even when hurricanes are causing mayhem.
When Equity systems ‘went down’
Mr Dennis Waweru is unhappy with his bank, Equity. Three weeks ago, Dennis and Meshack Waweru, joint account holders, went to withdraw cash at Equity’s Kimathi Street branch and found a winding queue. After queuing for quite a while the customers were informed that the systems “had gone down”.
After much pleading, the branch manager agreed to pay them. Then on June 6, the two money men went back to the same branch to withdraw some money. Again, they were greeted with the same news: The system is down. “This time, the manager said he was unable to pay and asked us to go to Kikuyu where we opened our account.
Three days later, they went to Kikuyu and after queing for an hour the the system again went down. But despite being at their ‘home’ branch they were told it was impossible to pay them without the ‘system’.
Tired, hungry and angry they decided they had had enough and ordered the bank to transfer their cash to another bank. The manager didn’t like the turn of the events and authorised that they be paid. Although it ended well, Waweru would like to know what’s up with Equity ‘systems’.
Vans that dent Nairobi’s image
Nairobi resident Joshua Ngala was greatly impressed by Governor Evans Kidero’s pledge to upgrade the fire department by acquiring ten new fire engines. The move, he notes, is long overdue and will go a long way in helping the city to put out fires.
But there are some other issues that Mr Ngala would like the Governor to address urgently.
First, he wants Dr Kidero to do something about the “Kanjo mobiles”, noting that some of them are dilapidated and in need of serious facelift if not replacement.
If you are in the dark, these are the vehicles that are used to ferry overzealous Nairobi County workers including the askaris who give hawkers and prostitutes a run for their money.
“One of these vehicles, which operates at night, literally has no headlamp and brake lights,” reveals Ngala. The vehicles, he adds, give the city a bad image and name and those who use them do not help matters.
That’s why he would like Kidero to crack the whip on council askaris who he accuses of extorting money from drivers and pedestrians in the city. He may be reached at joshua.ngala@yahoo.com.
What happened to TNA Nyanza aspirants’ cash?
Aspirants for various seats in Luo Nyanza who vied on The National Alliance (TNA) ticket and supported President Uhuru Kenyatta were sidelined and sidestepped. This allegation was made by Charles Odhiambo Amenya here on May 17. Mr Amenya who contested for the Karachuonyo parliamentary seat claimed that those who vied for election on TNA tickets like him in Nyanza were discriminated against. Unlike aspirants in other parts of the country, Amenya alleged, candidates from this region were never given any campaign cash despite having paid the “heavy nomination fees”. The candidates had been asked to send details of their account and identification numbers, full names and positions that they were vying for to “4878” but were never sent the funds, he said. What’s the truth about these allegations, TNA?
Blank out these blackouts, KP
Vincent Munga has been residing in Kaloleni, Nairobi for the past two months and is already considering packing his bags, thanks to Kenya Power. He claims the estate suffers from persistent power blackouts, which cause residents a lot of pain. Last Sunday, Mr Munga reports that a power surge caused a huge mess in his apartment by damaging electrical appliances, including his television set. “Some say power from the transformer is not properly connected leading to black-outs. KPLC should come out and shed light on this problem,” urges Munga whose contact is mungavincent@gmail.com.
Right of Reply
Pensions Department set to release widow’s dependants pension
The Pensions Department wishes to respond to an enquiry which appeared in PointBlank column of June, 28 titled, “Where is the truth in pensioner’s case” following our earlier response dated June 4, 2013.
This is to assure the complainant Mr Bruno Kangai on behalf of Mrs Filipina Karei Michael, the widow of the late Michael M M’muraa, that the Department has now received all the returned pension expected from his late father’s bankers that had been remitted to his account after January 28, 2007, the date of his death, owing to late reporting by the family.
In our earlier response we indicated that we received returns for only 13 months which had been verified and posted to the Pension Information Management System (PMIS).
The remainder of the returned pension has since been received and posted to the PMIS after verification.
It may be noted that the family reported the death of the pensioner on March 24, 2011 despite the fact that the pensioner died on January 28, 2007. The widow claimed the five-year (60 months) dependants pension which was to be paid from January 29, 2007 to January 28, 2012.
However owing to the late reporting of the death of the pensioner, the widow was paid dependant pension in the June 2012 payroll in arrears (nine months) with effect from January 5, 2011 when the pension paid to the deceased was stopped to January 28, 2012, which is the cease date of the five years dependants’ pension.
The dependants pension for the period January 29, 2007 to April 30, 2011 (51 months) along with additional returns for three (3) months; November and December 2006 and January 2007 pensions paid prior to his death is being processed and will be paid to the widow shortly and formal notification mailed to the postal address she provided.
Michael J Obonyo – PRO
For: Pensions Secretary/Director of Pension
Point of Order
On the trail of Pro-box
The driver of a white Pro-box which allegedly hit a red X-trail along Uhuru Highway on July 10, 2013 at around 08.30am and spent off beware. The owner of the X-trail has the registration number your Pro-box and is planning to tell the police--if you doen’t come out of your hideout. The X-trail owner’s contact is general.rimsy@yahoo.ca.