Three have died, as 80 others are still missing following the Friday landslide in Japan's city of Atami. [Courtesy].
Rescuers in Japan searched desperately on Monday for survivors among 80 people believed to be still missing two days after landslides tore through the seaside city of Atami, destroying houses and burying roads under mud and rock.
According to CNN reports, two days ago, a devastating "tsunami" of mud swept through a coastal city, killing at least three people.
Expert reports indicate that the powerful mudslide in Atami, Shizuoka prefecture, about 90 kilometres (56 miles) southwest of Tokyo, was triggered by torrential rains.
Videos posted on social media showed a deluge of black water crash down a mountain and into the city, destroying homes in its path.
READ MORE
Nyanza's irrigation revolution could save Kenya Sh22b
Takaichi wins big in Japan election, media projections show
Japan votes in snow-hit snap polls as Takaichi eyes strong mandate
Japan eyes Premier League parity by aligning calendar with Europe
Rescue efforts have been stepped up throughout the weekend, with police, firefighters and members of the Japan Self-Defense Forces joining the operations.
Atami City officials said, additional 13 people were rescued on Sunday, one of whom was seriously injured and later died, bringing the death toll to three.
The official told CNN 25 survivors had been rescued at the time, while 80 remain unaccounted for.
CNN reports that the officials had previously said 113 people were missing.
So far, the safety of 135 of the 215 residents of mudslide-stricken parts of Atami's Izusan district has been confirmed, the official said.