By Robert Wanyonyi
Bungoma, Kenya: The family of a businessman who was murdered at the height of the infamous killings that hit Bungoma County after the last General Election has complained over the release of the alleged killers.
In a letter written on January 30 to the Chief Justice, the family of the late Timothy Nyongesa, who was attacked and killed at his home in Mashambani estate within Bungoma town last year, raised questions regarding the manner in which the suspects were released from custody.
They said a criminal case was previously heard by Bungoma High Court judge Francis Gikonyo who had ruled that the suspects should remain in custody until the end of the hearing.
The family argued that following Gikonyo’s transfer from Bungoma recently, they were surprised to discover that the suspects had been released.
READ MORE
New Emurua Dikiir MP has his work cut out
Emurua Dikirr: Why UDA, rivals should assess poll with caution
Staff exits loom at DP Kindiki's office as Sh95m set for gratuity payments
NLP leader Muli says Ukambani votes must be tied to development pledges
“We are left wondering whether the court that gave the order can so easily turn around to reverse it,” said a family member. The family claimed they had received threats after the suspects were freed.