In a statement on Monday, January 29, the Editors Guild condemned alleged to media houses by the Jubilee Government over coverage of National Super Alliance (NASA) Coalition leaders Raila Odinga and Kalonzo Musyoka as President and Deputy President respectively.
EDITORS statement on Govt threats on media. pic.twitter.com/JQJMdMS3QH
— Linus Kaikai (@LinusKaikai) January 29, 2018
The statement signed by Chairman Kenya Editors Guild Mr. Linus Kaikai on Friday last week, the guild is alarmed after a section of media managers and select editors from the main media houses were quietly summoned to a meeting at the State House, Nairobi, the objectives which were unknown.
READ MORE
Battle for Baba's party heats up as rival ODM faction lands in Kisumu
ODM plans youth convention to chart way forward amid rift with UDA
Six months in death: How politicians are fighting for own survival in post-Raila era
According to the guild, the meeting was a violation of the law and did not bode well for the freedom of expression and press in the country. The meeting was attended by President Uhuru Kenyatta, His Deputy William Ruto, Interior Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang’I, ICT Secretary Joe Mucheru and Attorney General Githu Muigai.
The guild reported having been appalled by the details of the said meeting, saying that Chairman of The Media Owners Association Hannington Gaya confirmed the tone of the meeting as a dressing down, a threat intended to intimidate the media from rightful informing the public.
“We would like to state it with all the clarity we can that the media is not an actor in the ongoing contest between Jubilee and NASA over the outcome of the last General Election. The Media remains a mere messenger and a chronicler of any events happening in our country. Our country's vibrant media is made up of competent professionals in journalists and editors that continue to make sound decisions on what constitutes news, in public interest,” read part of the statement.
In a counter statement, however, Vice Chairman Kenya Editors Guild Samuel Chege Maina said that the term dress down was a misrepresentation of facts. He explained that the meeting, which he attended was a fruitful discussion where everyone agreed that media freedom has to be accompanied by a high degree of responsibility.
“At no point were any threats issued to media houses or ultimatums given on how we choose to broadcast matters of public interest or those relating to the current political situation in the country,” read Maina’s statement.
Statement on the alleged position by the Kenya Editors' Guild on alleged threats to the media. pic.twitter.com/o2IRuT9Npb— Samuel Chege Maina (@SamCMaina) January 29, 2018
He wished to disassociate himself with the earlier statement by Mr. Kaikai saying that there was no prior meeting with the Guild before its release.
Media houses began streaming live happenings early in the morning of the swearing-in as the day unfolds. Citizen TV and Radio, owned by Royal Media services, however, went off at around 10 am. It is alleged that they were shut down by Communications Authority of Kenya (CAK).