Kimilili MP-elect Dismus Barasa (pictured), spent over six hours being questioned by detectives from Bungoma and Nairobi over the alleged murder of Brian Olunga, an aide to his opponent Brian Khaemba.

Barasa represented by two advocates from the George Khaminwa law firm was at 5.20pm on Friday August 12 taken from the station to a police car and driven on the Bungoma-Kakamega road.

The Standard team that was trailing the vehicle which was in a fleet of five others lost track of the detectives at Ekero junction in Mumias.

"He surrendered at the station at about 10.30am after we appealed to him to come out of his hideout. He is safe but I cannot tell you where he will spend the night at the moment just know he is safe and the probing is still going on," said Bungoma police boss Francis Kooli when The Standard called to inquire.

DCI officers leave Bungoma police station with Kimilili MP Didmus Barasa — The Standard Digital (@StandardKenya) August 12, 2022

Stephen Chacha the regional DCI boss said the MP was in the hands of his peers from Nairobi and did not disclose where the MP-elect was being held.

Barasa's lawyer Dr Khaminwa told The Standard that he was also "following up with the police" to know where the MP-elect will spend the night.

"They (police) are yet to tell where they have taken him. I will let you know when I hear from them," Khaminwa said on phone.

Surrender order

The Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Noordin Haji had earlier ordered Barasa's prosecution as George Kinoti of DCI gave the UDA politician six hours to surrender to police or get fished out.

The MP-elect claimed he was in Nairobi for the three days security agencies were looking for him.

Barasa is accused of shooting Brian Olunga on the forehead at Chebukwabi in Kimilili on Tuesday, August 9. Olunga succumbed to the injury at the Kimilili hospital.

"I'm ready to cooperate with police so that I can also know what killed that young man (Olunga)," he said.

After the questioning, a relative was seen passing warm clothes to Barasa before he was driven away.

The UDA MP-elect recaptured his seat after garnering 26,861 votes against DAP-K’s Brian Khaemba’s 9,497. The Kimilili Returning Officer George Omondi on Thursday August 12 refused to hand over the election certificate to Barasa's agents.