A farmer and her workers harvesting maize photo:courtesy

Farmers have welcomed the Government’s decision to prioritise the purchase of their maize as it prepares to wind down the current maize subsidy scheme.

The Government last week announced it would reduce quantities of subsidised maize supplied to millers to ensure processors were not in possession of cheap maize ahead of the September 30 deadline for the withdrawal of the subsidised Sh90 maize flour.

Speaking after a consultative meeting between Cereal Growers Association (CGA) board members and Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries Cabinet Secretary Willy Bett at the weekend, the association's chairman, Stephanus Kruger, said CGA had been assured of a ready market for the new crop.

“CGA is grateful to the Government for assuring maize farmers that it will buy all the maize currently available from local farmers,” he said.

The meeting had been called to address concerns by maize farmers that the extension of the maize subsidy scheme to September 30 would have a negative impact on the local market as the main harvest season kicks in.

Maize farmers in the South Rift region are already harvesting their crop.