Eko Dydda and his family. He has been released from quarantine. Photo: Courtesy.

Gospel musician Eko Dydda has been released from COVID-19 quarantine at Kenya Medical Training College (KMTC) Nairobi. On April 23, the father of two announced he’d been allowed to go back home through a social media post.  He expressed gratitude at those who played a part in securing his freedom and getting him back home to his family.

“Thanks to the almighty God I am back home now and spending time with my family, thanks to the Lawyers Hub and the support of most of you online for highlighting our plight. Thank y’all. Mad love and respect for you guys,” he wrote, adding that he has a new release dubbed Direct.

READ ALSO: Eko Dydda’s sick wife cries foul as he’s arrested, forcefully quarantined



A post shared by Ekodydda (@ekodydda) on

Wife cries foul

On April 20, the singer’s wife Sylvia who spoke to activist Boniface Mwangi accused the police of wrongfully quarantining him after a bribery attempt went wrong. In her statement, she said that her husband had gone to get her medication on April 18 but had a puncture on the way back home.

By the time he fixed it, it was past the 7 pm curfew and he was arrested and taken to Kilimani Police Station. The next day, she went to bail him out pending hearing of his case and after paying Sh10,000 bail, the police officer manning the Occurrence Book (OB) seemed hesitant to write her a receipt acknowledging the payment.

READ ALSO: Why police are weakest link in Kenya’s coronavirus fight

On her insistence, she was given the receipt and Eko was released. However, hours later, police officers ordered him to report back as a cellmate he was locked up with had allegedly died. However, on a call with the police, Sylvia claimed to have overhead someone in the background saying that being issued with the receipt would be problematic.

“You issued a receipt to one person, this is problematic,” the voice said.

He was rearrested before being forcefully taken to KMTC for quarantine.